Connect with us

Embedded,

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by kap, Jul 29, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. kap

kap

Jul 15, 2013
    Hi guys, I want to develop a LED chaser with a particular pattern using Microcontroller, my main objective is to understand how to interface Microcontroller & start on Embedded, can you please suggest the steps from scratch?

thanks in advance

2. NuLED

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
    You need to read books that tell you how to program microcontrollers.

You can decide between Atmel (Arduino) or PIC, and others.

3. kap

kap

Jul 15, 2013
    Atmel 89c52, I did study architecture & pin diagram & Instruction set, but still cant understand what to do next,

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    First thing I would do is use a modern microcontroller instead of a dinosaur.

Bob

5. kap

kap

Jul 15, 2013
    bob, which one ?

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I am a PIC fan myself. Depending on what I need, I use any of the 12F, 16F, 18F, 24F or 33F series. For Atmel, there are, I believe, ATTiny And ATMega. These are all much more recent designs.

Bob

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    An advantage of the Atmel environment is the use of standard C++, and in particular an open source compiler. Many PIC environments are somewhat less than standard and support additional chips via changes to the compiler rather than by changes to libraries (please tell me if there's a widely used option which doesn't).

For the larger atmel chips, I would recommend the Arduine ERW development environment. It will ease the pain of installing all the stuff you need on Windows. The only issue I have with it is that it places some files you need to edit as you become more experienced in places that Windows prevents non-administrators from editing. Even as an administrator it's a pain.

Having said that, there's some significant differences between the way the atmel and PIC processors work. I am keen to find a nice easy development environment (especially one that is standard C/C++) that won't gouge me $$$ per year just to support new chips.

There is a "free" PIC compiler but it's a "student" version and lacks features.

Someone was developing a PIC port of gcc, but that hasn't gone anywhere. There's also SDCC. This appears to be primarily a 8051 compiler (which might be of interest for your 89c52) and they are trying to add PIC16 and PIC18 support, but it sounds like it's incomplete.

Some of my information came from here, and it's also worth a read.

8. russian

russian

Aug 15, 2013
    How about stm32f4discovery board?

0) it's CHEAP
    1) it's plug and play USB
    2) it has some LEDs already on the board so that you can start with them
    3) it has a free C toolkit and quite a community

9. Solidus

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
    Arduino would probably be a good place to start - reasons being:

1. The language is simple (Processing) and has a much-modified syntax from C or C++ which makes it VERY easy to learn for beginners - getting fully operational in it only takes a few weeks and some creativity and playing around. Also, the code-writing application (Arduino IDE) has single-button interfaces for loading code to the device and engaging the serial monitor for viewing device output. It also features a number of simple examples, such as a 'blink' application that blinks an onboard LED, of which examples of are known to be the microcontroller version of "Hello World".

2. The boards are pre-constructed, pre-bootstrapped and cheap, taking the brains out of having to construct a PCB, solder, let alone JTAG the thing. . The main model even has a DIP-socketed ATMega328P that once programmed, can be physically pulled out and put into a custom application-specific design with attention to the Arduino schematics (freely available) for the relationship between Arduino pins and the chip pinout.

10. p.erasmus

p.erasmus

Jul 18, 2013
Ask a Question