Connect with us

embedded program

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by vead, May 26, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    Embedded system design
    there are two method to design embedded system design
    1. using micro controller on development board
    2. using micro processor and memory and other device

Q1. when does we use micro processor and micro controller in embedded system
    Q2 what is embedded program ?
    embedded program is software that is used to write program for embedded system

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    A1: That depends on the computing power, memory requirements, periphery needed etc. The main difference between a controller and a processor is the number of integrated peripheral function (I/O, timers, interrupt controllers, special functions etc.). A controller typically has lots of them, a processor not so many. Also, a controller may have integrated memory (RAM, FLASH) for storing the program and data. A processor typicaly relies on external memory.

A2:
    No.
    An embedded program is the sofware that runs on the microcontroller ( it is embedded into the hardware, today mostly in a FLASH memory). The software you need to develop the embedded program is the development environment, which can be as simple as a text editor, assembler and linker or it can be powerful consisting of an IDE (integrated develeopment environment) with editor, compiler, debugger, libraries etc.

See also here.

vead likes this.
  3. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    thanks lot for big help I know little bit about microcontroller , compiler and assembler
    I have written some program on assembler for LED , motor lcd display
    I have completed project but I am having problem with following question
    Q1 what is specification for embedded program

4. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    I have no idea what you mean, please be more detailed in your question.
    The specification for a program comes from the person that defines what the program needs to do. This is independent whether the program is an embedded program or runs on a mainframe.
    If you want to blink an LED, specify the on-time and the off time of the LED.
    If you want to predict the wheather, specify e.g. the accuracy, the prediction period, the input variables etc.

5. vead

vead

Nov 27, 2011
    I also don't understand, this is exam question I have to write requirement and specification for embedded program I have searched on google but I did not find good material

example - we write program on compiler , assembler
    we write different code for different purpose like lcd , led , dc motor

I am thinking in this way
    what should we know when we write program for any project ?
    code should be readable
    response time should be less

6. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Sorry, I'm at my wits' end with this one.

Ask a Question