Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronics newbie , blown subwoofer board?

elspamcatcher

Sep 8, 2018
Hello and this is a cool forum, anyhow, I am a not a stranger at repairing things but am a novice when it comes down to identifying individual resistors and what not to replace/repair.

Hopefully I can upload some photos of blown subwoofer panel, tell you what I know and you can point me in the right direction.Subwoofer blown 1.jpg Subwoofer blown 2.jpg

This is from a pinnacle subsonix 10-200 subwoofer, the bass is staticky sounding, I bought this used (goodwill) so I have no reference for its use.

All I know about resistors is how to read the color bands in order to replace them but I also learned that I need to trace its blown source otherwise the resistors will use fail again, that is where I am lost as to what would be the first order of troubleshooting.

I just see the burnt spots behind the resistors and probably need to change those 2 out, I see green, brown, red and gold which gives me a Resistor Value: 5.1k Ohms 5%. Hopefully I am tracking here.

Thanks ahead of time and look forward to learning more.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Those resistors look fine. Sure they seem to operate fairly hot, and this has discoloured the board, but it may be fine.

When you say "staticky sounding", do you mean:
  1. The speaker make a sound which is always present, in addition to what should be made?
  2. The speaker makes a sound which is only present when the speaker is producing other sounds?
  3. The speaker make a sound which appears to be affected by changing controls (even if it continues after you've changed the controls)?
If the answer is only (2) then the problem may be the speaker itself.

I am assuming the sound is "scratchy" and has no apparent periodicy. Please correct me if I am wrong.