Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronics learning the fun way

Harrison_Grant

Dec 9, 2011
So, tell me is their a more fun way of learning about all this electronic maybe to the point where i will remember it all. Maybe a site that is dedicated to going into detail or maybe a 3D game thing where i have to make a circuit and it explains what is happening. Ill be going to college for this but, i would love to get ahead. Also What are the basic tools i need before buying kits? Cheaper to buy online or in stores?

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi there. Any way you learn electronics is fun, my preference is books and the net, if your looking for ways to spruce it up, maybe your not enjoing it. I find the higher level maths a drag, but use the maths i need, and try to keep it all to hand in my head, unfortunately this is not possible for me, so i now and again use reference books for tricky equations. Start looking at books, not full to the hilt with maths, more projects with maths acompanymant to explain and guide you through it. make it fun.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
you could also find projects that interest you make them and try to figure out how they work. The net and sites like these could assist you further if you get stuck.
remember there is maths involved so if you want a complete understanding you might want to brush up on that a little.
there are also books with kits that get you to build simple things like a flashing light and then explains how it works.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Hello Harrison,
I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer. It so much depends on what you already know, on your skills, your way of learning and working etc.

My personal opinion:
Building kits is a fast way to get something going, but from most kits you can't expect detailed explanations of the operation. If you want to go for kits, a Google search for >learning electronics kits< gives some results.

If you are looking for online self-teching courses in electronics, do a Google search for >learning electronics online<.

Buying tools and material in advance is a good ideda so you will have ecerything at hand when needed. Only you should first select one or two courses to follow and find out what tools and materials are required. Most courses will list the required tools and components.
Again, what you'll need depends on what you are going to do and in which way. One example: You could start by breadboarding your circuit on protoboards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard) either of the pluf-in variant using pluggable wires of different lenght to connect your components or you could skip this step and start by soldering on solder type protoboard/breadboard. You could even use cardboard (http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7763928_make-electrical-circuit-paper-clips.html).

Even if you use plug-in breadboards, sometimes some soldering is required (e.g. to attach wires to components that don't fit on the breadboard). So my personal list of tools to have is:
- soldering iron (15 W - 40 W), preferably with adjustable temperature
- a spool of solder wire
- linemans pliers
- small (fine) wire cutter
- assorted screwdrivers
- helping hand tool
- multimeter
- magnifying glass (optional, for small components and fine work)

Buying online or in stores?
If your looking only for the price, just compare online and real world stores. There is no general rule which one is less expensive. Also take into consideration that for buying online you'll have to add postage. Another thing to keep in mind is your degree of experience. For starters I suggest you find a good real world store and get some advice from a salesperson who can aid you in selecting the right tools and materials and - hopefully - protect you from investing too much money in useless features.

Regards,
Harald

P.S.: One fun way of learning a piece of electronics every day is an electronic advent calendar like this: http://www.order.conrad.com/cgi-per...&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche--adventskalender&shop= -> - unfortunately this one is in German and i couldn't locate an english equivalent on short notice.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Bread boarding is what alot of people start with, simply because its quick easy and mistakes can be rectified easily. When i first started circuit building i went for prototype board, copper strip board, a bold leap as mistakes are not as easily put right, but i saw it like a permanent built circuit ready for use if i could get it right, visualizing the circuit from paper to board is a challenge especially in more complex circuits, but the finished product is usable, but its a bold step.