Connect with us

Electronics Club

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Supercap2F, Mar 29, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    Hi Everyone!

I have looked everywhere on the internet but I can not find any electronics clubs near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA. Does anyone know of one?

Dan

2. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    Norman is not that far away. Here is a link to a robotics club at OU: (you may need to be enrolled)

I suspect you need to decide whether your interests fit robotics or radio. There are clubs for both. Electronics in general might be harder to find. If there is a community college nearby, that might be another option.

John

3. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    Sorry about the delay in responding :eek: A robotics club would be the best for me.
    Do you know of any more?

Thanks
    Dan

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Unless we have somebody nearby it's hard to say. We'll do our best to help you, but keep your eyes and ears open. Face to face contact can be really helpful, although you can probably get more frequent contact on the internet.

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Contact one of your local amateur (Ham) radio clubs and ask for information.
    Hams are usually good people with strong interests in electronics, and usually more
    than willing to help. They often have 'Hamfests', where the club will get together to
    join in some electronic event, and have club members and vendors come in to sell
    electronic parts. Most of the guys work in the electronics field, and will know about
    other electronics oriented clubs that might be in the area. They're organized, and
    are usually up to speed on what's happening electronically in the club's area.

6. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    As shrtmd said.

I googled 'oklahoma city amateur radio' and found hamdepot.com with a list of over a dozen clubs.

You could try looking on the ARRL website.

7. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    What exactly do they do at a ham club?

All the best
    Dan

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    One of two things:

a) sit around swapping recipes for cured pig meat

b) anything related to amateur radio (and often much more)

You want (b) ;)

9. Supercap2F

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
    Ha Ha very funny. But I mean what is amateur radio? I have never actually heard of it before.

Dan

10. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I belong to two radio clubs, There is nothing that they do exactly. Everyone has their own interests such as.
    Chatting on the radio
    Building radios
    Putting on exhibition stations
    Instructing to get an amateur licence
    Swapping/selling components and equipment
    Contest operating
    'Fox' hunting - a competition to find hidden transmitters

I am a member of the RSGB, you could visit the ARRL (US) website for more information.

I have not been on the air for many years, I spend most of my time repairing mostly valve (tube) domestic radios and the occasional electric fencer. At the present time I am making a wooden box to house an isolating transformer to make repairing live chassis radios a little safer.
    I don't do anything exactly, I am a bit of a bodger. Where some tricky soldering is concerned, I have got a friend to do it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  11. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Just Google amateur or ham radio. It's a long history.
    Started out with guys who wanted to communicate where communications systems
    didn't exist. You used to have to know Morse Code to get an FCC license, but they
    have some licenses now that don't require code, so you can talk on some frequencies. Mostly now they're guys with strong interest in the hobby, and is a back-up
    in natural disaster areas where normal comms are disrupted.
    The reason I suggested them, is most of the guys I know in them, are also in computer
    clubs and like-minded fields of electronics interests. You have Hams that mostly talk
    to other hams in their area. And DX (long distance) hams that talk across country or
    to other countries. Like I said, it's a hobby thing.

Ask a Question