Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronic Votive Stand.

SpaceMonkey

Oct 1, 2009
Hey Everybody! I'm new to EP and after searching the forums and lurking for a while I figured I would start a thread to share my project.

I'm working on building an electronic votive stand, similar to those used in churches in Europe and South America to eliminate the hazard of long burning, unattended flames. However, the votive stand I'm making is coin activated, whereas a "donation" is inserted into a coin mech and a random LED candle is illuminated for a fixed amount of time. For every coin inserted a corresponding LED candle will illuminate out of an array of 30-40 candles. It would be similar to this, but without the wand that activates the lights:
wwwDOTfreepatentsonlineDOTcom/4177407

My problem is I'm not exactly knowledgeable enough to figure out the final schematic. When it comes to the decorative woodwork for the stand assembly I'm a pro, but the wiring escapes me. I've done a few simple projects with LEDs and 555 timers but I find that to be of little use.

I can theorize how set up a single "coin activated" LED candle to burn for a standard length of time, but how do I allow for multiple candles to burn when other coins are inserted arbitrarily? Do I need to use a microprocessor for this?:confused:

Any advise would be tremendously appreciated!

Cheers!

Last edited: