Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronic thermometer project needed.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
I am after building a electronic thermometer but have had no luck trying to find one. Ideally I would like it to be able to read the temperate outside so perhaps some basic sealed protective housing will be needed.Has anyone any plans I can use?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The single most difficult thing about building your own electronic thermometer is calibrating it. There are many electronic outdoor thermometers on ebay for very low cost. Is there a particular reason why you want to build one, or is it just a home project for fun?

ak

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Calibrate at sea level with ice fresh water or boiling fresh water.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
That assumes that the pivot point for gain calibration is at 0degC. Many (most?) solid state sensors asimtote to 0 V at 0degK.

ak

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
I had no idea it would be quite completed. It was on;ly out of interest and not an essential tool. I think perhaps I'll just buy a cheap one and use that. :)

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
I've done temperature sensing using many different technologies, and all of them have - issues. Overall I like precision thermistors the best because their performance is very accurate, repeatable, and interchangeable. That is, I can plug in a new sensor and not have to recalibrate anything. The bad news is that they are weirdly non-linear, so to get a digital readout it takes a small microcontroller like a PIC with a lookup table in firmware. Not hard, but not a beginner-level project.

Solid state temp sensors can be very linear, but both the absolute accuracy and gain function vary from part to part more than a few degrees. So as long as you don't care of 70 really means 65 to 75, they're fine. Adding a gain and offset trim circuit reduces this error greatly, but to calibrate it you need two known temperature baths pretty far apart, as in post #3 above.

ak