Maker Pro
Maker Pro

electronic Tesla valve (ETV)

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
I just had this whizz banger of an idea.

So, you know how you have PN junctions, I thought of another junction that you can make.

If you put resistance next to voltage in your circuit, you can call it a component in itself.

The positive resistance adds a load in using it. (So it has a weakness.) But the voltage next to it. (In series.) cancels the resistance in one direction, and youll get a higher amps in one direction than the other, kinda like a poor mans diode, that has a fair bit of load and leaks alot..

I think its safer not to add too much voltage, or youll cancel the resistance negative and youll start drawing towards the ETV, I think thats not the right way to use them. (But I dont actually know for sure, only just had the idea today!!!)

I think something funny was going on, but I saw that you can make amazing hydraulic pumps with a Tesla valve, which has a beautiful property of no moving parts, so if its that good for moving physical water, then its got to do something amazing in electronics too!

Even tho I know its simple, would u guys call this a Tesla valve too?

Its not exactly the same in a way that there is a leak coming out of that wire in your circuit, so nearby capacitors will be charged by it, thats the issue with it, but if u keep the voltage down, and use them in a more loady fashion - then not much will be coming out, barely touch the circuit I imagine.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
heres the ETV thing going. (its a rectifier demo.)

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
That's not a circuit diagram, that's a mess.

But the voltage next to it. (In series.) cancels the resistance
No. voltage doesn't "cancel" resistance (omg, I have a flashback: we've had this discussion before :()
Just because in a certain setup one voltage cancels the effect of another such that no current flows in a resistor between these two voltage sources doesn't mean the resistance magically disappears. It is still there and Ohm's law is applicable: I = Vdiff / R. As soon as there is a small difference in voltages, Vdiff <> 0 V, current will flow and you'll notice the effect of the resistance.

there is a leak coming out of that wire in your circuit, so nearby capacitors will be charged by it
A leak in a wire? Capacitors miraculously charged without any connection? What are you talking about?

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
No. voltage doesn't "cancel" resistance (omg, I have a flashback: we've had this discussion before :()
Just because in a certain setup one voltage cancels the effect of another such that no current flows in a resistor between these two voltage sources doesn't mean the resistance magically disappears. It is still there and Ohm's law is applicable: I = Vdiff / R. As soon as there is a small difference in voltages, Vdiff <> 0 V, current will flow and you'll notice the effect of the resistance.

A leak in a wire? Capacitors miraculously charged without any connection? What are you talking about?

voltage can cause shorts the same as resistors do, if you have 2 power supplies they divert through each other, that means the resistance actually is cancelled!

You cant compute a circuit without taking into account all isolated power sources together! (as well as all the resistors!!!)

Its not changing anything, its just thinking about it differently, sorta like voltage divider theory, there is actually no division of voltage there, it still is just a current divider but u think of it as dividing the volts.

Really whats happening there is it is just shorting down the r2 resistor the more resistance is on the load, but u can think of it as dividing the volts if you want.

Saying voltage is an "anti-resistor" is also true, as long as u stick to what's actually happening, your just taking it from a slightly different angle.

Like u dont actually get an amp out of it so easily, for example, but u can think that way if you want.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
voltage can cause shorts the same as resistors do, if you have 2 power supplies they divert through each other, that means the resistance actually is cancelled!
A voltage source doesn't create a short circuit. It is the resistance (or lack thereof) between points of different potential (aka voltage) that creates the connection that allows current to flow. With no voltage difference no current will flow, regardless of the resistance. With any voltage difference, the current will be determined by the resistance.
You really, really need to get your basic electronic theory right. Please don't irritate others, especially not other novices, with misbegotten concepts.

sorta like voltage divider theory, there is actually no division of voltage there, it still is just a current divider but u think of it as dividing the volts.
Nonsense.
In a voltage divider the current through bolth upper and lower resistor is the same. It is not divided in any way. The voltage, however, is divided between the two resistors. Hence the name.
When you want a current divider, you connect the resistors in parallel. Then you have the same (undivided) voltage across both resistors, but the total current is divided between the two.

Saying voltage is an "anti-resistor" is also true,
No, it is not.
Voltage is a source of power: Apply voltage to a resistor and you have electron flow aka current which in turn cretaes power dissipation P = V × I.
When you connect a resistor to another one, no current flows, no power is dissipated.

as long as u stick to what's actually happening, your just taking it from a slightly different angle.
It doesn't help to create your own language and misinterpret the technical terms which are agreed by the electrotechnical community. As long as you stick to common use of terms you'll find that people will understand you.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

That's not a circuit diagram, that's a mess.
As Harald said, the drawing is a mess.
Have a look here for some guidelines:

Bertus

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Hello,

As Harald said, the drawing is a mess.
Have a look here for some guidelines:

Bertus
It doesnt matter if a circuit is messy if its actually working thats more important.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
It doesnt matter if a circuit is messy if its actually working thats more important.
That is about the first statement you have made which is correct ! :)
But if you want other people to show an interest in your circuit you should make it easy for them by drawing the circuit in a conventional way which can be readily understood without the need for mental gymnastics.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
It does matter if the circuit is messy if you want others to understand it.
Otherwise you can wallow by yourself in your vast confusion.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
It does matter if the circuit is messy if you want others to understand it.
So I guess everyone doesnt like the overlapped diagonals, ill make sure i makes it all neater next time. :)

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I have come to believe, based on @dragon's many convoluted, inaccurate, and nonsensical posts, that it is a complete waste of my time to read anything that this person posts to our forums.
Please don't irritate others, especially not other novices, with misbegotten concepts.
Good luck on that ever happening.
My prototyping work is usually messy, but if I want to convince others that what I am doing makes sense, is working, and does something useful, then I have to present it in a manner that people "skilled in the art" can recognize immediately. Usually this means a well-drafted schematic diagram with components identified for purposes of discussion. A Bill of Materials (BoM) is always appreciated by anyone who wants to duplicate the project. Photos of prototypes built on solderless breadboards are NOT a substitute for a readable schematic, nor is a Fritzing picture. There are "rules" on how to construct SCHEMATIC. Learn them if you want to communicate.

Unless you plan to build just a single one-off example of your "circuit," and not show it to anyone else, it is better to make it as non-messy as practical so you (or someone else) can easily duplicate it.
I think @dragon is not really a serious electronics hobbyist. He is a troll who learns just enough to make controversial posts that we all buy into. Like many before him (and he may actually be one of them, re-incarnated with a different username) he contributes NOTHING to these forums.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I think @dragon is not really a serious electronics hobbyist. He is a troll who learns just enough to make controversial posts that we all buy into. Like many before him (and he may actually be one of them, re-incarnated with a different username) he contributes NOTHING to these forums.
This is a conclusion I came to a LONG time ago and tried to convince 'higher powers' that trolling was his only purpose. Well it would appear that either by his own hand or that of the 'higher powers' he hasn't shown his face here for a while - and I'm not pleased to admit that I'm glad to see the last of him.......

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
it is a complete waste of my time to read anything that this person posts to our forums.
Our forums? So it begins... It takes a community.Grab your pitch forks everyone let's hunt him down and burn'em on the stake!! :oops::p;)

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I am flattered, you don't have to look up... to me. I'm trying to work on my humility. I set myself up for you. Make it funny. Oops... did it again.
:cool:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Grab your pitch forks everyone let's hunt him down and burn'em on the stake!!
Nah! We don't do that here. No flame wars either. There is a little button named "IGNORE" that will be revealed if you mouse your cursor over a member's name near the beginning of each of their posts. Click on that and nevermore see their posts! Well, that's how I think it should work, but I've never ignored anyone, not even suspected trolls. I do consider suspected trolls guilty until proven innocent by subsequent posts, but if I ignored them, how would I know whether they have reformed and troll no more?

I'm trying to work on my humility.
I encourage you to continue with that endeavor!