Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronic Shop for Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired Engineer

Apr 19, 2018
Kingman, Arizona. Rent an ELECTRONIC SHOP… and then LIVE in it! This could be a retired technician’s dream. Especially for one proficient in breadboard layout & test, who intends to keep their skills honed for many years to come. I have no shortage of interesting projects for you to work on, designs that you can help me build.
I’m talking about practical circuits that we can actually use, like land-based telephones that give a simultaneous amplification boost in both directions at once. Or, telephones with special frequency equalizers or tone controls for the hearing impaired. (I am somewhat of an expert in solid-state circuit design, with a special interest in active filters.) One of my most important design tools, is the transistor curve tracer.
For the person who will actually be living in the shop, there is only room for one. So there can be no couples; no individuals who smoke, and no pets. We will share a separate, common kitchen & dining area, with equal access to the (free) laundry machines. The shop itself has its own outside entrance and a separate bathroom.
The most engaging thing for you to do at first, will be to fully organize the shop to your own liking. It is not fully set up yet, so this gives you maximum freedom to choose how you want to organize your space. The shop area is about 400 square feet, complete with a 12 foot workbench, pegboard and a large bench vise.
Rather than me collecting your rent money indefinitely, I would prefer that we set things up with an ongoing rental-exchange agreement. You take care of organizing the shop and keep things running smoothly there, while I in turn stay out of your way, doing my online backup research. WiFi provided.
If your circumstances seem to fit into what I have available, and you think of yourself as a research technician with an intense desire to find out how things work, send me an email. Retired engineer at [email removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Heh, so you're hoping someone will want to live in your workshop, pay you to do so, and then build everything for you? Is your name Santa by chance?

I get the feeling that you live in the hills of W. Virginia and anyone who shows up, gets disappeared in the woods there. ;)

Your best bet is local craigslist ads. This isn't something anyone should travel and gamble on instead of someone local to you having a chance to visit and see the situation without much investment.

Lastly, "only room for one" is going to be a huge impediment. Even a geek who never had a date in his life, will want to keep his options open. Plus it reads like you want to disappear people in the woods, lol.

Last edited:

Retired Engineer

Apr 19, 2018

Regarding your comment that "I want them to pay me for it," perhaps you didn't read far or carefully enough. Or maybe I need to come out and say it in so many words: RENT CANCELLED. I am interested in having a downstairs roommate, that is, his or her private quarters are downstairs on ground level, but the upstairs part of the place where I live is the shared area. This is open to you for your use at any time. I hereby expand "kitchen and dining room access" to "entire living area shared." Okay?

Perhaps it was my prior experience on Craig's List, encountering every kind of scam artist under the sun, that discouraged me from entitling my notice "Free Rent". If you don't have the money to cover ordinary living expenses that most people have to deal with (rent, house payments, etc.), then you are going to move on to the next Craig's list ad, and not bother me with your scamming attempts!

This isn't a "free ride"; you will have to buy your own food and cover your own personal expenses. This is a roommate sharing opportunity. Nor am I any kind of a "monitor" for on your own guest arrangements. Having your own space on ground level with a private entrance enables you to bring in a partner at any time; but if they live there, and feel constrained to more or less "hang out" in the shop all of the time, how will we ever get anything done?

Okay, how's this for an ad?:

"COUPLE WANTED to share 2 bedroom apartment, with private partial-living facilities available on first floor (primarily an electronic shop), with separate access."

Now, you and your partner can live upstairs sharing the whole apartment with me, and having full access to the entire common living area. FREE RENT for both of you as long as I live, but in exchange for providing you both with a free place to stay for as long as I live, I would like to get something in return, O.K?

How about this: if the guy is an electronics geek, he has full access to my electronic shop down on the first floor at any hour of the day or night, and can even sleep down there if he likes electronics and research that much. As for his partner the lady (and gender roles can certainly be reversed here, what difference does it make to me?), she might be able to fulfill the role of a caregiver for an elderly gentleman who, as he ages, is going to need more and more help with food preparation and shopping. I am fully ambulatory and capable of taking care of myself, except that as I seem to perpetually be shopping and cooking for myself, well, this gets very tedious. But...

Aha! I have it! I have an extra bedroom upstairs that I am not using! Do you suppose that it might be possible to find a career caregiver who wants to retire, and to take that room and live in it, for free, in exchange for helping me out as I get older...? Why of course! People do this all of the time!

As I have told caregiver applicants, including many Craig's List callers, "No, I am not going to pay you ten dollars and hour to live with me!" Sorry folks. That's what the spare bedroom is for! But the bedroom could just as easily be occupied by a couple... but how about with this caveat: "Your partner must be a qualified electronics geek."
And for this secondary potential caregiver help, I was going to try and find an experienced caregiver separate from you. Someone who might be content to "live rent-free in the 2nd upstairs bedroom in exchange for her help." Is there anything out of the ordinary with this? Of course not! People do it all of the time! Rent Free, in exchange for caregiving.

I am finding it difficult enough to find a reliable, trustworthy caregiver, without demanding that her husband/partner also "just happen" to be a research-oriented electronics technician interested in the same kind of analog circuits that I am! Does that make sense? Well, I thought that it did.

Okay, you're pushing me to raise the bar now. New ad: Electronics geek with caregiver partner wanted to share 2 bedroom apartment in Kingman, Arizona." Details as given herein.

Okay, do you think the "problem" of the geek "needing to be single" has been made any easier now? Why no, you don't have to be single; you just have to have a caregiver as a partner to qualify to live here rent FREE." (Did I say free rent? Oh, yeah. There it is in capital letters so no one will miss it -- as has apparently just happened.)

As for rural Appalachia, I don't think so. A mile from Walmart and the shopping district of Kingman, with dozens of neighbors and a Harley Davidson dealer 2 blocks away. Across the freeway from the fairgrounds. April is here and hundreds of motorcyclists are converging in the area for the annual Route 66 "River Run", referring to Colorado River about 32 miles away. Look it up on Google maps: "Mother Road Harley Davidson dealer", and take a good look at the area. Not rural Appalachia in any way, shape or form.

I find this interpretation of my ad to be fascinating. But if you think that my asking for you to "just happen" to have a caregiver as a partner, at the same time that you are a uniquely-qualified technician, go for it! I might as well reach for the stars, right? Now maybe I won't have to advertise on Craig's List (what a joke!) or anywhere else for that matter, for that caregiver: She will come with the technician!

You have just helped me to better define my Ideal Scene.

I will make my caregiver your business too! If the two of you are having an argument or perhaps marital upset, you will always have the option of being able to go downstairs and sleep in the shop, if you need to be in your "man cave" for awhile.

I hope this helps to bring my original ad out of the woods, to be seen in a new (and truthful) light. No apologies needed. You helped me to (1) raise the bar a bit by seeking an even more Ideal Scene with a couple, while (2) understanding the many imaginative ways that an ad like mine might be (mis-)interpreted. I'll thank you instead.

-- Retired Engineer

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
TLDR; but I get it that I rattled your chain.

I just don't see anyone traveling any distance for this. It needs to be a local search, if Craigslist isn't working then refine that. You have particular requirements and that 1 in a million search will require entertaining 999,999 clowns on average.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK
we have had our entertainment :)

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.