Connect with us

Electronic Prototyping Platform

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gameglicher, Jun 23, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gameglicher

gameglicher

Jun 23, 2012
    Hello. My name is Luke and I have an extensive knowledge of software development. I am a big noob at hardware. I know this is a huge project for a start, but I would like to do this! ok.

I am using ExpressPCB to design the board and have set it up as shown so far:
    [​IMG] now, as you know I am a total noob. I would like to use a GPIO similar if not identical to the one on the Raspberry Pi. Any Help?

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    To be BLUNT you have a LONG way to go before you can even consider prototyping a board like that... You need learn how to use your muscles, gain strength in those muscles, gain balance and learn to at least crawl before you learn to run...

You need pick what processor you are going to use, if you are going to use an ARM like the Raspberry Pi you will need to choose what one you are going to use, and then pour the hours into the datasheets seeing what needs to be done to make it tick, Do the same for every component you plan to use... Then layout a basic schematic and get a game plan, breadboard your schematic, test, revise, breadboard, revise and so on until it works... Then once you have a working model you can actually work up a final schematic and then FINALLY proceed to laying out a final board design, and then likely do it again (and again) when you make a last second revision or find another error, and grumble a little bit under your breath...

GPIO = General Purpose Input/Output and those pins are just brought out to a standard DIL pattern on the Raspberry Pi, nothing fancy...

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Do you have a circuit diagram?

Laying out a PCB without one is like writing a program without any specs at all (not even the user requirements) -- perhaps with a scope document.

There are many phases of development that have rough analogs with software design, but which may be done in a very different order.

User requirements (what is it supposed to do)

Functional specs (what actual functions can be used to implement this)

Technology assessment (what devices are available and their datasheets)

Technology selection (which of the available devices will we use)

Design spec (block diagram)

Program spec (circuit diagram)

Implementation (PCB layout)

Testing.

Do not be fooled, there will also be refactoring, reuse, prototyping, optimising, reviewing, and release, and hopefully a stack of documentation :eek: )

Ask a Question