Connect with us

Electronic Pressure Pads

Discussion in 'Beginner Electronics' started by Guest, Oct 21, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for electronic pressure pads (to detect a change in pressure
    applied by a mechanical level without the need for springs or other
    mechanical weighing devices.. something in the form of responding to a
    change in resistance caused by pressure?). I know they're out there in
    different forms, but I haven't quite found what I'm looking for. The pads
    themselves don't need to be large.. in the range of 1x1cm to 1x1inch. The
    main goal is to weight something in the range of 10kgs on an arm that pivots
    on one end, and that end presses against a sensor that detects the weight
    (with an emphasis on the idea that the arm can't deviate from the original

    Anybody know of an item like this? and if so where to buy it?

    Frazer RM Ross
  2. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest


    The device you want is called a 'force sensing resistor' (FSR). They
    look like a membrane switch and can be in any size or resistance range.

    I used to work with these but you may have to 'google' around a bit to
    see where you can buy them in small quantities...

    Luhan Monat
  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

  4. Al

    Al Guest

    You might acheive the same effect by using conductive black foam of the
    sort ICs are packaged in. It's resistance changes with pressure.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day