Maker Pro
Maker Pro

electronic pollution ?

dull spark

Aug 8, 2011
HI everyone,
has anyone working with electronics ever been affected by say Chemical toxins,from components,or static dust from old tvs. or any electrical gear, we have a 10 year old TV with a CRT tube and it may be affecting our health,it seems to change the air in the room, when it is well warmed up, we can taste like a toxic dust on our lips, we also get static schocks through the air in the room, other symptoms are watery smarting eyes,and itchy
nose and ears,
Enviromental experts are doing tests at the moment, but so far negative results,
have a go.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Your static shocks "through the air" are more likely to be caused by the nature of the floor covering than the TV. The TV does build up an interesting static charge on the face of the CRT, but you have to be within an inch or so of the glass to notice it.

The dust in your house is pretty much composed of your old flaked off skin and isn't particularly toxic. Yes, there is probably lead inside the TV in all the solder joints, but it's in a stable form.

If there's so much dust that you can smell it heating up, then maybe you need to get someone *appropriately skilled* to vacuum the insides to remove it.

Even if you've had capacitors explode inside the set (which would probably cause failures) it's more likely that you'd notice a foul smell long before you had any ill effects from them.

Your use of the word "toxic" indicates to me that you really don't know what you're talking about. Whilst some poisonous substances (especially biological ones) taste bitter (and that's a evolutionary approach to stop us eating poisonous berries), toxins are something else again and are not distinguished by taste.

I would accept perhaps that you get a "metallic" taste, or note an acrid smell. The latter is perhaps indicative of plastics being heated to the point at which they start releasing nasty stuff (like when they're burnt). This sort of thing would be readily apparent to anyone just entering the room (less so if you've been in there for a while unless it's quite strong).

Last edited:

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
Dust Magnet

CRT TVs are pretty good dust magnets. That's probably where the idea of those air cleaner machines, aka, positive ion generators came from. Cleaning the insides of a CRT TV is probably one of the most hazardous undertakings I can think of for the uninitiated. Leave it for a pro. or get a modern type TV (without CRT).

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
Sounds kinda like when my furnace kicks on for the first time of each year (which it has already done!).

I get the nasty smell and a funky taste in my mouth for the first few times... maybe when his CRT is heating up its burning off some nasty dust... Just a thought...

I'm with alfa on this one... defiantly leave the CRT cleaning to a pro, or someone who hasn't killed themselves doing it yet :). Or there is always the buy a new TV if you are financially inclined.

Matt-

dull spark

Aug 8, 2011
electronic Pollution.

HI. Matt, I have the professionals in,they have letters after their names to no end,one is a Senior Scientist in air quality,then we have a Principal scientist in air quality,we had some conversation with a highly respected Professor of Chemical Science,and we had DR of this and Dr of that,tests are being conducted,for air quality, Gases, toxic Chemical Vapours,formaldehyde,VOCs,magnetic fields,bad earths, anyway i have left my TV like a new pin,I switched her off for 24 hours,cleaned every piece that one could see,I used a very powerful vacuum cleaner with a 12mm silicone tube taped into the hose fitting,i then used two artists paint brushes with long bristles, all insulated, the filter in vac, will go to the Lab.Dont think they will find any thing out of the ordinary,Best TV ever built crt still the best picture,make starts with an SSss. will let you know the results of the tests.
Thank you.

dull spark

Aug 8, 2011
crt vrs lcd

No CRT compares favorably with even the worst LCD you could buy today. You are fooling yourself.

Bob
HI Bob. I have two LCDs none are HD, ones from Korea,the other one is from Holland,where I live in N,Ireland the signal is good,my 10 year old crt is very good and would put the two LCDs to shame,mind you a lot of my friends agree,I intend to buy a 40 inch HD for Christmas, I was at tv demo a few weeks ago,all the latest models,12mm deep,3D,Internet all the bells and whistles, and would you believe not one was showing a normal program,they were all showing hand picked programs playing of recorders.WHY.