Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronic math

NMNeil

Oct 3, 2014
A 62 year old student question.
I keep coming up against the stumbling block of my limited mathematics knowledge which is holding me back. Yes I understand Ohms law, but anything after that I'm having to learn from scratch. After all they taught me algebra nearly 50 years ago, and I wasn't paying attention then. At that age I had discovered that the curves on girls were far more interesting than the curves on a graph.
I've looked at the Khan Academy, fantastic site by the way, but it covers general and then really confusing algebra not really relating to electronics.
Can anyone recommend a web site or reading material that deals with electronic math exclusively rather than going off on, "given the following which train will arrive first", type of a tangent.

Many thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well... Depending on what you're having trouble with, it may be general mathematics and not electronics specific.

Because some of the math isn't intuitive, I don't know of a site which uses electronics examples for teaching the underlying math.

Can you give us an example of the sort of thing you're struggling with and what about it you can't get your head around?

And at only 62 there will be a few people here asking you "what are you going to do when you grow up sonny?" :D

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
A 62 year old student question.
I keep coming up against the stumbling block of my limited mathematics knowledge which is holding me back. Yes I understand Ohms law, but anything after that I'm having to learn from scratch. After all they taught me algebra nearly 50 years ago, and I wasn't paying attention then. At that age I had discovered that the curves on girls were far more interesting than the curves on a graph.
I've looked at the Khan Academy, fantastic site by the way, but it covers general and then really confusing algebra not really relating to electronics.
Can anyone recommend a web site or reading material that deals with electronic math exclusively rather than going off on, "given the following which train will arrive first", type of a tangent.

Many thanks
Algebra is the least of your needs. You have to know calculus and differential equations to really understand what is happening when doing circuit analysis. You can use a canned method to find the answer to an stock problem, but to really understand what the circuit is doing, some higher math is necessary. Oh, and a good skill in doing complex arithmetic is essential, too. https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Mathematics-Electronics-Nelson-Cooke/dp/0028008537.

Ratch

NMNeil

Oct 3, 2014
Thank you all for your answers.
I accidentally answered my own question while searching for something else by stumbling over this site:
archive dot org.
Thousands of technical books all in the public domain including hobby electronic and computer magazines from the 60's, fascinating reading.