Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronic Equivalent of a 3P6T 'Rotary' 3-Deck Switch

Silver Hawk

Jun 22, 2016
I am trying to find an electronic switch ( -vs- purely mechanical) that would/will provide what an old 3-deck (3-pole) 6 throw rotary switch accomplishes. Ideally, it would have a single (membrane) button that when depressed would serially switch from throw/position 1, through 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and then back to throw/position 1. Small is best. Max volts is 15 max current is 1.5 amps max total Wattage (total through all 3 poles at same time) would be 5.5 Watts. I'm currently using these: https://www.amazon.com/Shaft-Channel-Rotary-Switch-Selector/dp/B00N42CF40 I need something lighter & smaller - hopefully electronic. I just can't find it and not sure where to look. Thanks VERY much. New to this forum.

Silver Hawk

Jun 22, 2016
Thanks Colin . . . is that 3 x 4017's and 3 x 555's? Do I need the 555's? For a timer or oscillator? I have 3 LED's that I want to be able to turn on individually (3 'throws), with 2 of the 3 lit (1 more throw), and with all 3 lit (a 5th throw) . . . with the 6th throw being the 'Off' (no LED lit) position. I appreciate your looking at this.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
So, if 0 represents off and 1 represents on, you want your three LEDs to sequence like this: 001, 010, 100, 110 or 011 or 101, 111 and 000? Does it make any difference, when two out of the three are on, which two those would be out of the three possibilities?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Are you switching analogue signals or digital? If analogue, how much distortion can yoiu tolerate?

Silver Hawk

Jun 22, 2016
Thanks VERY much for all the input - I do appreciate it. I am just trying to control when 3 individual Cree LED's turn on. Individually they max out at about 3.5 volts and at 3.5 volts, each draw about 600 ma (0.6 amp). I would like the switch sequence to serially/sequentially run through 6 'positions' or 6 'outputs.' 1st: no LEDs on 2nd LED #1 on 3rd LED #2 on 4th LED #3 on 5th LED's #1 & #3 on 6th LED's #1 #2 & #3 on. The next 'toggle' returns to 1st 'output' with no LED on, etc. Thank you all again. Any electronic circuit that will accomplish this . . . that is small, efficient, inexpensive (relatively).

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
An 8 pin microcontroller + 3 MOSFETs is what you need.

You also did not need the switch you are using, a single pole 6 throw switch would do it with a few diodes.

Bob

Silver Hawk

Jun 22, 2016
BobK:

Thank you very much. I suspected that my use of the 3-deck was.... terribly unsophisticated. That said, I would love to see how a solution with a single deck with diodes circuit would look. And if you'd be kind enough to share a diagram using the microcontroller 3 MOSFETS.... I would be forever grateful sir!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I would love to see how a solution with a single deck with diodes circuit would look. And if you'd be kind enough to share a diagram using the microcontroller 3 MOSFETS.
For the diode and a rotary 1P6T switch solution, you simply apply power to the pole and attach forward biased diodes to the six throw positions, one diode for each LED that will be illuminated at a particular position. Therefore, at switch position 1 there are no diodes and no LEDs will illuminate (open circuit); position 2 has one diode connected to Cree LED #1; position 3 has one diode connected to Cree LED #2; position 4 has one diode connected to Cree LED #3; position 5 has two diodes connected, one to LED #1 and the other to LED #3; position 6 has three diodes connected, one to LED #1, one to LED #2, and one to LED #3. The forward voltage drop of approximately 0.7 V across the diode connected in series with a Cree LED that is illuminated must be considered when driving the LEDs through whatever circuit you use for that, i.e., current-limiting resistor or constant-current driver.

The microprocessor solution is even simpler: one I/O port senses a push-button switch operation; three more I/O ports are used to gate-control three MOSFETs in series with the Cree LEDs and their power supply. Some programming and electronic construction experience required. Are you up for that?

Silver Hawk

Jun 22, 2016
hevans1944: Thank you very sincerely for taking the time to assist me - very sincerely appreciated.

I awoke thinking about the 'diode' solution . . . and then the 0.7 V loss/diode. Not monumental, but this project will be battery powered and thus the minimization of any loss is important. Nonetheless, I'm smiling reading of your design solution and simplification! Thank you! So i now have that great option! Regarding the microprocessor solution - I would say yes, I am up for that! I am (obviously) not the most electronically savvy person, but I have a background with some experience that I think would provide that I can accomplish what you describe. I am a ham - N4PIH - and so I'm not completely inept! And, I love the idea of accomplishing this digitally. So if I may impose upon you for your further thoughts & directions on how this can be done, I would promise it won't be a waste of your time sir. Sincerely, Dave Williams

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@Silver Hawk, I recommend that you use a Microchip PIC10F200 (or 202, 204, or 206) in an 8-pin PDIP package and build a prototype circuit while you learn to program the PIC. Unless you are skilled at using teeny, tiny, microscopic-sized parts, avoid the 6-pin SMD package for now. This particular PIC is a low-end device with one input-only pin (which you will use for the push-button switch) and three input/output pins which you will use as outputs to drive three MOSFETs that in turn will drive the three Cree LEDs.

You will also need to purchase a PICkit 3 programming pod to program the microprocessor, using free Microchip MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE) software, downloaded to your PC from the Microchip website. Be aware that there are clones available for the PICkit 3, often at considerably lower price than the Microchip website offers. I would avoid purchasing a clone. The money you might save isn't worth the headache of discovering you purchased a poorly working counterfeit. There are also reputable distributors like Digi-Key, Mouser, etc. who will sell you the real deal. Be wary of Asian eBay sellers.

Besides the PIC microprocessor (buy a few... they are cheap) you will need prototyping equipment: solderless breadboard, insulated wire jumpers, an assortment of other passive devices like switches, capacitors, and resistors. Typical ham radio stuff, really, although you should make sure the component leads aren't too large to easily fit in the solderless breadboard component-connection holes. For example, the leads on a common 1/2 watt carbon composition resistor are too large. Either solder on some 22 or 24 AWG solid wire or use 1/4 watt resistors. Some component leads are too small, 1/8 watt resistors tending not to make good contact in the breadboard component holes, especially after you have previously jammed the fat leads of a 1/2 watt resistor into the same hole.

I recommend using the 2N7000 MOSFET to experiment with while learning to use and program the PIC. Purchase a few dozen or a hundred or so (they are really cheap, about forty cents each in small quantities) so no big deal if you let the "magic smoke" escape from a few while you climb the learning curve. Later you will need to use an N-channel, logic-level gate, MOSFET of 1 A or more current and a few milli-ohms of on-resistance to handle the Cree LED current. The 2N7000 is only good for about 200 mA, and has a relatively high on-resistance of 5 Ω, but it is easy to drive its gate with a PIC output and light up a few low-current LEDs while you learn to program the PIC.

Since your project will be battery-operated, you should consider controlling the Cree LED current with a pulse-width modulated (PWM) waveform. That means you need to sense the LED current by using the voltage drop across a very low resistance (0.1 ohm typically) in series with the return lead to common, which will usually be the MOSFET source terminal. This tiny voltage drop (about 0.6 A x 0.1 Ω = 0.06 V) insignificantly adds to the gate voltage required to fully turn on the MOSFET. It needs to be amplified with an op-amp and then digitized by the microprocessor which will then vary the pulse width to accommodate whatever average current the LED requires. I would use three PIC10F206 μPs for this, dedicating one for each LED, so you can independently control the average current through three separately driven LEDs. Don't think of small μPs like you would when selecting a processor for a personal computer: the PIC family are like jelly beans and by-pass capacitors: cheap and you use as many as necessary to get the job done. And of course you can buy ready-made PWM LED controllers... but where is the fun in that?

Using PWM means you not only save a lot of power wasted in either a linear constant-current driver or current-limiting resistor, but you also now have control of the brightness of each LED. That is extremely useful if you have separate red, green, and blue LEDs that you want to mix colors with. But this is just to plant the idea in your mind. For now, you should concentrate on getting the PIC10F200 to turn the LEDs on in the sequence you stated, using just the push-button switch to step through the sequence. It will typically take you about a month to master the ins and outs of using the PIC10F200/202/204/206 chips. I would go for the PIC10F206 initially, as it has an analog comparator built in (that you don't need for now) along with 512 words of program memory and 24 bytes of data RAM. The datasheet makes for a good rainy Saturday morning read. Print it out and keep it handy while learning to program the microprocessor.

73 de AC8NS

Hop

Last edited:

Silver Hawk

Jun 22, 2016
hevans1944: Thank you so VERY much for what you've provided. I've not 'run through' it yet but am eager to do so and I've now a lot to do this weekend! This obviously represents a lot of work and thought and effort on your part and it is very sincerely appreciated sir. I'm excited! I'll look forward to advising you of my progress and accomplishments with what you've kindly provided - thank you again. Sincerely, David