Connect with us

electromagnetics (electrodynamics) resources?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Brad, Apr 1, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Brad

Brad Guest

Hi,

I just finished up a book called "Electromagnetics Explained" by Ron Schmitt and
    it has really wet my appetite for a deeper understanding and practical
    application of electrodynamics. I finally see how an electric field is
    generated by a charged particle undergoing acceleration and how an oscillation
    of this charged particle back and forth produces a wiggle in the electromagnetic
    field which propagates outward at the speed of light. Very cool!

I learned how an unconnected conductor (say a bar of metal) of certain length
    will absorb and retransmit electromagnetic waves, efficiency based on the
    electric length of the conductor. Wait a second...this could be exactly how
    those anti-theft tags in the dept. store work! Very cool! Also, you possibly
    could build a metal detector to only detect conductive objects of a certain
    length...perhaps like 3 inch framing nails in the dirt on a construction site?

Anyway, this book has kindled a desire to learn more about electromagnetics.
    Based on the recommendations in the back of this book, I ordered a $20 used copy
    of the 3rd edition of Kraus's Electromagnetics (the 5th edition was $130+ new)
    and a Schaum's Outline of vector calculus as a review. I had the obligatory 5
    courses in calculus and a course in linear algebra way back in college, but I
    believe I have forgotten almost everything. I hope *some* of it will come back.

Is this a good start to learning electromagnetics? Are there any other books I
    should study before tackling the Kraus book? Am I ok with just the 3rd edition?
    Are there any books on lab experiments that could be performed without a network
    analyzer that would yeild a greater understanding of electrodynamics?

Thanks!

Brad

2. Active8

Active8 Guest

Sounds good. If you get to the point where you're lacking some math,
    you can always find a website like SOS Math or Wolfram Research.

3. Active8

Active8 Guest

alt.math.undergraduate is another good resource.

Ask a Question