Connect with us

Electromagnetic Quiz Confusion.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by revv, Oct 12, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. revv

revv

Jun 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I just did this quiz for electromagnetic questions and this one question I don't know if im really wrong or if they made a mistake.

Is Microwave the correct answer? I thought cell phones used radiowaves but I guess its microwaves?

*Edit well after some research it appears it is a microwave... ( I tried searching earlier but couldn't find any answers) you can delete this now.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Your confusion is understandable.Microwaves are radiowaves, too. The wavelength of microwaves is between 1m and 1cm (Wiki). The author of the quiz probably makes a distinction between microwaves and radio waves (AM, FM) due to the widely differing wavelengths.

3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    It is a very poorly written question, and the answer marked correct is not unique. Microwaves and visible light both are subsets of radio waves, so the teacher gets a big black dot for that one. The range of frequencies for what we call "microwaves" extends from 300 MHz to 300 GHz and all cell services I know of fall within that range, so I see the intent of the question. Still, badly done.

ak

Arouse1973 and duke37 like this.
  4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I use lots of microwaves to cook my dinner, perhaps that was what the questioner was thinking.

Arouse1973 likes this.
  5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    So what happens if you put the cell phone in the microwave?

Bob

Martaine2005 and Arouse1973 like this.
  6. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    The questioner thinks your dinner has a cell phone?

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I see this misunderstanding so often on the net
    its really sad that teachers and other so called people don't understand
    the EM spectrum better/correctly

Harald Kapp likes this.
  8. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    I just tried it.....iphone 4s.
    Next doors microwave rang.

davenn likes this.
  9. garublador

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
    I was at a trade show waiting to talk to a guy about his microwave distance measuring device and the guy in front of me claimed to have a PhD in the field. He was telling the guy at the booth that he was planning on using the magnetron out of an old microwave oven to detect when someone was near and open a door because he heard those types of door sensors use microwaves. The guy at the stand kept repeating, "Please don't do that, you'll cook people."

Martaine2005 likes this.
Ask a Question