Connect with us

Electrolytic capacitors in old car radio

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mbr, Sep 26, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mbr

mbr

Sep 26, 2011
    Hi,
    i have Sony Car radio here that i bought new about 17 years ago. It has not been used at all. The storing temperature may have been about 20° C (68°F) for 9 months of a year, and about 25°C (77°F) the other 3 months. Can anybody make an estimate, if this might be crucial to the elecrolytic caps / function (present, near future) of the car radio? I don´t know any details (brand,model) of the used caps.

greetings

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi mbr
    welcome to the forums

your guess is probably as good as ours. Knowing exact brands of caps so you could look at data sheets would give you a good idea.

Dave

3. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Car radios are designed for punishing environmental conditions and that one was built by a reputable manufacturer so I would expect them to be fine. The interior of a car can go from well below freezing to over 140°F and the radio will usually survive that year after year so 17 years of relatively gentle storage should be easy.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
Ask a Question