Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrolytic Capacitor - Settling Time

yunfengtan

Oct 20, 2011
Hello All,

I am experiencing an issue in my work. One of the cap is giving me problem such that when I powered up my circuitry, the so called no good cap caused my power supply rails taking a long time to settle, whereas if i change to a good cap, there is no such problem. I tried to compare the no good and the good one by measuring the Cap capitance, leakage current, there is no obvious difference. Please advise if there are parameters that i should look into.

Thanks!
YF

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi yunfengtan.
Are you using load resistors across the capacitors, this should bring them into the same level, so long as one is not damaged, or its plates / dielectric impaired, you dont mention voltage or value of the capacitors, or where in the circuit ?.
Dave. :)

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) and self-inductance (resonant frequency) are two other obvious and vital parameters for the performance of a capacitor.
ESR and inductance should be as low as possible, leaving resonant frequency and Q-value as high as possible.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know what else is out there, but I use a Sencor Z-Meter to check for capacitor
leakage. If it's a single cap, maybe you should just replace it, and see if that solves
your problem.