Connect with us

Electrolytic capacitor identification

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by David Rickman, Feb 16, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. David Rickman

David Rickman

Feb 16, 2018
    This capacitor in my Garmin 551dv fishfinder blew and I need help identifying it and possibly where to get a new one.

Attached Files:

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    davenn likes this.
  3. Robert_fay

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
    While I have not identified the exact cap from my previous searches I agree with @hevans1944

405 is likely a dat code 05 month of 2004
    220 is likely 220uF
    50Z is going to be 50volts and then Z will either be a tolerance or series indicator

4. David Rickman

David Rickman

Feb 16, 2018
    Ok thanks guys

5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    I'd be more concerned for WHY that capacitor blew up in the way it did......

bushtech likes this.
  6. David Rickman

David Rickman

Feb 16, 2018
    While I dont disagree with you, i have no way of finding that out. I want to believe it could have happened due excessive heat, ut is in a black case in direct sunlight or it could jave happened when i had to jumpstart my boat. But for the 88 cents plus shipping i will gladly replace it and see.

7. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Can you show where, on the unit, the capacitor came from?

8. David Rickman

David Rickman

Feb 16, 2018
    Yes, it goes right near where the power cable connects, right where im pointing with the screwdriver, you can see the burn mark on the casing too.

9. David Rickman

David Rickman

Feb 16, 2018
    Is the pic uploading?

Attached Files:

10. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The adjacent inductor points to an SMPS-derived supply onboard - quite common - and blown capacitors are a definite problem in some designs so your fault could just be pertinent to the design but the severity of the failure is quite surprising.

If/when you change it I'd recommend powering up with the lid off and letting it run for a good few hours to make sure there isn't something else amiss.

11. David Rickman

David Rickman

Feb 16, 2018
    Ok thanks, the new one should arrive this week, ill take your advice with it.

Ask a Question