Connect with us

Electricity Consumption for Ceiling Fan?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Bryan McMullan, Jan 6, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bryan McMullan

Bryan McMullan

Jan 4, 2018
    I am thinking of installing a ceiling fan in my kitchen as it gets quite hot and sweaty while cooking. However, wary of the electric consumption. Can any one suggest a rough idea?

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Find the one you want online and the specification will state such. As a guide ISTR they are around 30-100W depending on the blade size. Some have light fittings and/or heaters.

3. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Rough idea of what? Define what your comfort is worth.

Fans don't use much power, at a heat source can be just as effective or more so than central air trying to make the whole home cooling to combat one area.

However you only have an "idea". A ceiling fan can cost anywhere from $20 on sale to well over $100.

I can tell you that I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen and do turn it on occasionally and appreciate the relief from it. Even a moderate breeze from one does not consume much power relative to the appliances creating the heat.

Bryan McMullan likes this.
  4. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Factiod . . .or . . .just an oid ?

https://www.guide2dubai.com/living/expat-life/dewa-utility-bills

Does 20 fil . . . . or 2 cents per KWH . . . . seem an unreasonable electricity cost.
    Bryan do these figures seem to hold true for your situation ?
    Surprised by the overall average of consumption . . . and does it trickle down.
    to an expat . . . .
    AND they even HAVE " sewerage".

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  5. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    If you are cooking on gas stove cooker,
    the wind the ceiling fan creates will disturb the cooking significantly .
    It may be more effective to use a standing/wall fan which lets you control the wind direction away from the flame.

6. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
  7. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    ^ True but mine does fine for relieving the hot spot in front of the stove without any audible noise, running at low speed. The extra heat in the kitchen is fine by me, I just don't want it rising up in my face while tending the stove which is what a vent hood does. The rare times I fry I do turn on the hood.

8. NMNeil

NMNeil

Oct 3, 2014
    I still have the box from the last ceiling fan I installed and it says 40 watts at full speed.
    Be careful what you buy though because for years we have paid the extra for top of the range Hunter fans, but the last Hunter we bought had the gut churning "Made in China" label on it. Now they are built to a price, not a standard.

9. turbogt16v

turbogt16v

Mar 27, 2015
    It takes as much wat as light bulb,ruffly

10. Avishek

Avishek

Jan 10, 2018
    I think you should be looking for some fans with BLDC motors. Those fans are know n to consume the least amount of electricity. Brushless DC motor energy saving fan offers several advantages over traditional brushed DC motor energy fans, including more torque per weight, more torque per watt (increased efficiency), increased reliability, reduced noise, longer lifetime (no brush and commutator erosion), elimination of ionizing sparks from the commutator and overall reduction of electromagnetic interference.I have been using one by lighting indoors, but it is quite expensive. I am sure you will find more in lower range too.

11. Bryan McMullan

Bryan McMullan

Jan 4, 2018
    The ones that you call table fans?

12. Bryan McMullan

Bryan McMullan

Jan 4, 2018
    I know sadly that is how most successful businesses run insnt it? that is why i am extra cautious I dont wat to end up with something which will break down in a short span of time

13. Bryan McMullan

Bryan McMullan

Jan 4, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion, but i alrady have that installed. Unfortunately my kitchen is quite small and the heat here is quite intense.

14. Bryan McMullan

Bryan McMullan

Jan 4, 2018
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will do some research and see if a ceiling fan is suitable or not

15. Bryan McMullan

Bryan McMullan

Jan 4, 2018

I know how that feels, imagine that when its peak summer time :(

Ask a Question