Connect with us

Electrically controlled expandable rod

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by icydash, Sep 27, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. icydash

icydash

May 22, 2013
    Hey all,

I'm working on a project and could use some advice for a component part. The project is a small robot that's about two inches long. The robot needs to have some kind of microcontroller-controllable retractable/expandable rod or arm that fits within about an inch space, but can expand out to about 3 inches. That arm will have a sensor on the end and reach out and "touch" things. I'm not sure what to do for the expandable arm component. I've been thinking of some kind of electronic antenna-type thing, but could really use some help! Of course the cheaper and sturdier the better (because if the robot runs into a wall, I don't want the arm to bend).

Thanks in advance!

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
  3. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    It's called a SCREW JACK

4. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    You can also use a servo with a crank and push-rod

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I was thinking about a scissor arm, although you could possibly activate this using a jack screw.

6. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Google: micro miniature linear servo

Ken

7. icydash

icydash

May 22, 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I was thinking about something like a scissor arm or jack screw, but I'm not quite sure how to electrically actuate those. The miniature linear servo may work -- with one of those, can I control how far out the pin extends, or is it either (1) all the way out; or (2) all the way in? Do you have any suggestions for a specific part on like Digikey (sorry, I'm bad at looking at the bagillion parts on Digikey and finding the right one!)

Ask a Question