Connect with us

Electrical Service in home

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by trickyrick, Apr 4, 2008.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. trickyrick

    trickyrick Guest

    I have a 60 amp panel and want to change it to 100 amp. Should the
    feed from the pole support 100 amp.
  2. JeffM

    JeffM Guest

  3. Have you really thought about this ??? or is it just a question that you
    havent thought about ??
  4. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    I'd suggest you ask the power company. The answer to your question is,
    of course the pole should support 100 amps for a 100 amp panel. Putting
    a 100A panel on a 60 amp line will just pop the power company's pole
    breaker, and they might bill you for the repair, if they find out that
    you've got an unauthorized panel.

    Good Luck!
  5. If the new panel has a main breaker, it should be 60 amp if the incoming
    service cable is sized for that. If you are only installing a new panel so
    you can have more breakers, it should be OK. But replacing a panel can be
    dangerous unless you can turn off power at the meter or the pole, and if
    the installation is not up to code (or even if it was not inspected), you
    may invalidate your homeowners insurance and have difficulty if you have a
    fire that can be traced to an electrical problem.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day