Connect with us

Electrical question

Discussion in 'Electrical Engineering' started by Ruth Boutilier, Dec 1, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. My electrical question is as follows: (I live in Nova Scotia)

    I am installing a spa and I need an electrical GFCI disconnect panel to be
    installed outside of the house where the spa will be going, and I found one
    at Home Depo that's for hot tub's and spa's. But I need to know, will a
    regular 40 amp breaker be OK for my electrical panel or do I need a 40 amp
    GFCI breaker there as well? Thanks for any advise.
  2. Thanks
  3. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Remember that a breaker protects everything downstream from it.
    Therefore, if you have a 40 amp breaker, all wiring down stream must
    be sized for 40 amps until you come to a sub panel. Its breaker
    should not be greater than 40 amps. Any breakers in the sub panel
    must have wiring down stream of them that has the same capacity as
    each breaker, and so on. No ifs, ands or buts. If in doubt - or
    even if fairly sure - please have an electrician oversee what you
    are doing. You can do the work yourself if he oversees it.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day