Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrical Engineering

Mr_mace

Dec 27, 2011
Hi Everyone.

I'm 16 and been thinking a lot about my future proscpects and I really want to do Electrical Engineering at university, hopefully at Camebridge. Could anyone give me some sort of advice on what sort of things I should do to help me in that area, like what sort of things should I do?

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
Well... The simplest thing to do is read about the courses that you're university is going to offer.

start getting into the world of "electricity" read about it get involved with circuitry understand how it works! Read more and you'll pick up a lot of things in a very short time trust me.

Im currently studying in collage as an electrical engineer. (Still didn't take its classes because there were a few requirements before taking that....)
Before getting in collage I studied electricity and what revolves around it and then tried simple experiments to apply what I've learned!

Luckily I was fortunate to find this forum and discuss many of the simple basics with professionals to help me understand more!

I would recommend you to read about it take it as a hobby and trust me in no time you'll feel like an expert! :D

Last edited:

Mr_mace

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks a lot for the re-post I really appreciated it. I have bought a book called Electronics for Dummies, and I read the tutorials which are on this website and I do find it very useful. But yes I shall carry on with that and as you say hopefully become more confident. Thanks again

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks a lot for the re-post I really appreciated it. I have bought a book called Electronics for Dummies, and I read the tutorials which are on this website and I do find it very useful. But yes I shall carry on with that and as you say hopefully become more confident. Thanks again

Reading my friend is the key of anything :D

Anytime enjoy you're journey.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
I would say fool around with things a bit, take some (broken) electronics apart carefully and just get a feel for things, get yourself a soldering iron and get comfortable with it

Having experience with soldering when I started college gave me an edge over a lot of others, and its something simple that you wouldnt think would make that big a deal

and if possible, try to get your hands on some old analog test equipment, I have worked with analog o-scopes before and that was a HUGE one up on others who hadnt and were presented with analog and digital o-scopes and such

Mr_mace

Dec 27, 2011
I would say fool around with things a bit, take some (broken) electronics apart carefully and just get a feel for things, get yourself a soldering iron and get comfortable with it

Having experience with soldering when I started college gave me an edge over a lot of others, and its something simple that you wouldnt think would make that big a deal

and if possible, try to get your hands on some old analog test equipment, I have worked with analog o-scopes before and that was a HUGE one up on others who hadnt and were presented with analog and digital o-scopes and such

Yeah I have already bought a soldering iron and I'm startig to get comfortable with it gradually. I'll try to get my hands on the analog test equipment as it sounds interesting. Thanks :D

TCUENGR

Apr 11, 2012
I finished my electronics degree a few years ago.

I'd suggest you learn basic circuits (ohm's law for sure), and start with basic projects.

Learn how to use a digital multimeter, and an oscilloscope if possible.

I wouldn't worry about the soldering iron too much, we hardly used it at all in my degree. We used breadboards 99.9% of the time.
Learn circuit theory as much as possible and do it by applying it to simple projects that you DESIGN and build yourself. E.g. get the right resistor to light up an LED, then add a buzzer, maybe then several in parallel with each having it's own switch, and just build it up.

I did this before starting my real circuit classes and it gave me a significant advantage. The key is to learn the theory and do problems.

I suggest you get this book and start reading it carefully and working the problems, then you can come here for help:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engineering...ction_Book&hash=item1e6c47f97c#ht_2271wt_1144

Last edited:

jfls45

Apr 19, 2012
Beware of Capacitors

Please realize they hold a charge and something like an old tv set could really hurt you.

Yeah I have already bought a soldering iron and I'm startig to get comfortable with it gradually. I'll try to get my hands on the analog test equipment as it sounds interesting. Thanks :D