Connect with us

electrical component induction cooker

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by scientist1234, Oct 22, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. scientist1234


    Oct 22, 2012
    I have been trying to understand how the "zoneless"induction cooktop of De dietrich Piano works. I have found a introduction movie on youtube and it shows the internal workings of the cooktop although at not great resolution because they do not want you to copy it.

    (you see at 18 seconds the PCBs of the cooktop)

    What I have found so far from the movie is when the coils and metal sheets are removed you see the pcb boards with the drivers (SEE also the attached image of the pcb boards). As far as I can see in the back are the fans for the heatsinks. the heatsinks are the large grey rectangles. on the long side of the heatsinks you see the black and whitish blocks, those are very likely the IGBTs, 6 on each site of the heatsink making 36 in total for 36 coils. In front of the heatsink there is a black square which most likely is the chip that controls the IGBTs and monitors the system.

    Now comes the question of the mysterious electrical component in the image and video you see next to the IGBTs location a white square with a silver colored cross (probably solder). There are in total 36 of these components, equal to the number of IGBTs so they are probably connected. The white components (with silver cross) are I estimate about an inch high and an inch wide and about a maximum of a 1/4 inch thick.

    I did some research into the components of an induction cooktop and have come up with some possible candidates for the components. However I have not been able to find a picture matching the component. For an induction cooker to work on the components that lead to the induction coil that generate the magnetic field you need a capacitor in series with the induction coil. A current transformer (often a toroidal coil) that monitors power consumption, and an igbt driver circuit (most likely a simple ic).

    I can therefore only deduce that components (white square with silvery cross) are ceramic type capacitors. However I have not been able to find any ceramic capacitors that look that way, so I am at a loss what the component could be. It looks familiar, like I have seen it more often but I can not remember anaything about it.

    Also the components do not get excessively hot since they are not connected to the heatsink.

    Does someone here maybe know what the components could be or could maybe point in a direction where to look because I am at a loss.

    Thanks in advance

    I have also found that the igbts are most likely dual igbt meaning 2 IGBTs in 1 package because you need 2 IGBT per coil.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day