Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric weed eater motor output question

Duanee30

May 18, 2017
I found a Black & Decker drill powered bandsaw at goodwill and used a corded Makita drill on it. It actually works very well, but obviously holding the trigger on the drill while trying to cut something just isn't practical. I mean I could just wrap a rubber band around it, but I'd rather have something I can plug in and control the speed. I have an electric weed eater and thought about taking the motor out of it and rigging up something to couple the motor to the drive shaft on the saw. My question is how could I find out if that motor could take the strain?

I can turn the drive shaft while holding it with with my thumb and two fingers, but it's kind of hard to turn.

I haven't taken the motor out of the weed eater yet so I have no idea if it will have any identifying manufacturer or model numbers, but I can do that if someone wants to know. I can't find any technical info on this bandsaw online other than the fact that it's probably about 20 years old.

Attachments

• 20180201_130906.jpg
    20180201_130906.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 88

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Why not wire the drill permanently on and fit a on/off switch on the band saw.
Also the drill can be dimmer controlled for variable speed, if needed.
Plus your weed eater is not going to be variable speed.
M.

Duanee30

May 18, 2017
Why not wire the drill permanently on and fit a on/off switch on the band saw.
Also the drill can be dimmer controlled for variable speed, if needed.
Plus your weed eater is not going to be variable speed.
M.
I actually thought about that, but I'd have to securely mount the drill to the piece of wood that the saw is bolted to. I know I could make something to where it could be easily taken back off, but I would rather just make a housing for a motor that is connected directly to the saw drive shaft. I'd still have a dimmer control though.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
If both state the wattage rating, you can get an idea of the power output of each to compare.
M.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Duanee30 . . . .

Looks like you can use the old drill holder block with some heavy duty cable ties , around it and the handle.
Additionally, with some blocks and spacers mounted to the plywood to hold the motor proper up to the proper height.
Model number included . . . for tieing into replacement blade numbers.
Seems like I date these back to the mid eighties from seeing them in a hardware store nextdoor and that drill shown, that I bought for $4 on a stock closeout sale.

upload_2018-2-3_22-0-44.png
73's de Edd

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Weed eater motor is unlikely to have enough torque. Same for drill motor but it has reduction gearing to solve that. If you have gears, chains, pulleys, belts, etc lying around you might be able to rig up something but try to stay at the RPM a drill output produces so you don't burn up the saw.

You have the drill and it's designed for exactly that so I would proceed with the drill, though that drill looks ancient and might need some gear lube for another tour of duty doing this.

Make a mount for the drill out of plywood or metal. Wire it on at the switch. Route power through a sewing machine foot pedal for power and variable speed. Frankly I can't see inside the saw to guess how worn it is but since the drill looks old, I would get a new drill for this project before going to the trouble of making a mounting bracket/table/stand/whatever for an old drill, unless the mount is widely adjustable to handle a different drill down the road.

Keep in mind that you might find a whole self powered bandsaw used for not much money on craigslist, or at a yard/garage/estate sale.