Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric question

Ac21212

Feb 11, 2016
Hello all,

Let me start off by saying I have tried to do some research on these items but have come up empty handed.

The first issue I have is that I have an eletric stapler. It works great. I installed a Lutron Maestro dimmer and 4 can lights with LED's in them. Now the stapler doesn't work most of the time. It works great when the lights are off. I assume the stapler is using an eletromagnet in there to operate. My assumption is the dimmer or the LED's are causing interference on circuit. Would installing an ferrite core on the power cord help? I'm really at a loss here. I don't really want to have to pull new wire to put the lights on a different circuit.

Another issue I have is with an eletric paper cutter. The switch on it is used as a circuit breaker(8 amp). The cutter randomly trips the circuit breaker while it's being used. It mostly trips when it's cutting, which is when it's using most of its power. I thought maybe the capacitor is bad on the motor. But I've had it trip the breaker when I am adjusting the backgage on it, which is a manual crank that I am turning or when I closed the lid on it which is it had an electromagnetic release on it. The circuit board is mostly if not all relays on it with a 1 amp slow blow fuse on it. Could it possibly be the transformer causing it to trip? Any ideas on what might cause it to keep tripping the circuit breaker? Bad circuit breaker/switch?

Thanks!

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Welcome to EP.

For debugging the Dimer-Stapler issue.
Try operating them on different circuits and as far away from one another.

For the Cutter,
It can be a faultily breaker or another fault in the unit.
The proper way to find out is measuring the current with an AMP-meter that can register/display the Max current value,but I guess you don't have one...