Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric interference

colum

Jul 25, 2013
I bought a new car and want to install a wireless camera in the front licence plate so the signal would need to cross the engine so my question is---Would the auto Electric interfere with the wireless signal or would this need to be hard wired.

I wonder if the generating of DC causes electric fields in the engine compartment

Thanks for reading this...Jeff

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Auto engines and the like are one of the noisiest environments one can ever come up against.
Being installed near your number plate may well get enough shielding from the metal bonnet and guards etc. surrounding the engine bay. All one can do is try it and see. I would be more concerned from noise coming down any wiring to the camera from the vehicle for power etc.

colum

Jul 25, 2013
Hi Bluejets .I think I messed up this post, I'm new at this
Thank you for your advice, I will try it with a small screen and seperate battery power if neccessary...Jeff

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The electrical noise comes from the alternator mostly, not the battery itself. Sure you've got ignition spark and whatever else
Blujets alluded to Try to use shielded cable, and as Bluejets said, your main problem will be the possibility of electrical
noise induced into the camera cable run. Every car is different, you may have to play with your cable run to
limit induced electrical noise.

colum

Jul 25, 2013
Hi shrtrnd. Thank you for the advice
If I want to run a shielded cable I would have to drill a hole somewhere into the passenger compartment, I don't think there are any existing holes, that is the problem .

T

tehtehteh

Jan 1, 1970
when I did mine I used 2.5mm coax and terminated the ends with bnc connectors after threading the cable through, that way you only need the smallest of holes

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If you look I would be surprised if there was not an existing rubber grommet somewhere to enable wiring through the bulkhead.

colum

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks tehtehteh and Bluejets, I'm beginning to feel confident...Jeff