Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric ICE Exhaust Cut-out... why? and how?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Jeremy Clarkson:

”You drive one of your driverless cars over the Death Road in Bolivia and I’ll buy one.

“Sit there with your hands folded and let it drive you up there, then squeeze past a lorry with half the tyre hanging over a 1,000ft drop while the car drives itself. Fine, I’ll buy into it.”
I tend to agree with him.

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
I have doubts that these would work in northern conditions, snow will for example change the environment enough to probably confuse all modern systems. Also the battery technology is not well suited for cold climates to begin with. What happens if you keep your electric car lets say 8 hours in the -25 celcius while you are at work ? I think the battery would degrade very fast.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Hybrid cars are the way forward. All-electric is far too soon (battery technology) and as for autonomous..... sure - big cities. But it's either an all-or-nothing situation. I don't think a mix of technologies driving in the same space would work without serious legal issues.

Are we to assume that autonomous cars can 'do no wrong'? i.e. in a collision with a manually driven vehicle will there be an automatic assumption that the autonomous vehicle is blameless??

If anything can scupper their introduction it is the potential for legal redress that will do so.

Let's see how the recent case of a driver being 'killed by his car' pans out - or will this end up being blamed on driver error (as other computer-controlled crashes have been attributed)?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I have doubts that these would work in northern conditions, snow will for example change the environment enough to probably confuse all modern systems. Also the battery technology is not well suited for cold climates to begin with. What happens if you keep your electric car lets say 8 hours in the -25 celcius while you are at work ? I think the battery would degrade very fast.
On TV in Canada there was a program about a hybrid Honda purchased because the ad from Honda said 76km range on the battery. But all winter he got only a few km and not enough power. He complained but Honda told him that is how it works when cold. He already paid $2000 for a home charging station and Honda would not give him a refund.

The Li-Po batteries in my electric radio controlled model airplanes (and my hands) also work poorly in the cold of winter.

The driverless Tesla crashed into a truck and recently a driverless Uber also crashed.