Connect with us

Electric drawer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by fatgreeny09, Apr 24, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. fatgreeny09

fatgreeny09

Apr 24, 2013
    looking to make an electric drawer that opens with a button, probs will want to put a small motor off either battery or mains electrics (obviously with transformer if off elecs) and use something like teeth on the motor and drawer so it wil open and close at touch of a button, so either the motor will turn a number of times then stop and i press the button again and it will do the same in reverse orrrr to press the button and it opens but stops like a dvd drive the return at push of a button.....

if anybody has any ideas how to make the motor do this think i will be able to the rest? thank you in advance

2. HellasTechn

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
    I think that it wouldnt be too hard to make a circuit to do that. Like you said you can use a pushbutton at each side so that when the drawer is fully extended the button will be pressed at that side and that would be the flag for the motor to spot. same thing for the opposit side.

3. fatgreeny09

fatgreeny09

Apr 24, 2013

Sorry I think I may have tried to over explain what im looking for, basically im just looking for some sort of tutorial on how to make a small motor turn a certain amount of times at the touch of a button then do the exact opposite at touch of a button ?

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Google stepper motors... You will have to learn to program a microcontroller...

Or you can use a screw drive with an H-Bridge and limit switches...

5. fatgreeny09

fatgreeny09

Apr 24, 2013
    mint thanks just what i was looking for, found the video also which i needed

its here just for anybody else looking to do the same thing

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  6. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Are you using this for cash drawer? There were available cash drawer that use spring to push open it when holding latch solenoid was triggered to open it.

7. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Another thing to consider is "limit switches". You can just free run the motor until the limit switch is activated and removes power from the motor.

8. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    You may want to check out this thread:
    https://www.electronicspoint.com/motor-control-diy-t249865.html

It relates to a similar system to move an archery target forwards and backwards. The mechanical details are different but the limit switch idea is there. We mainly discussed DC motors, not stepper motors.

The reason for using limit switches is that if your control system simply turns the stepper motor enough times to get the drawer from one end to the other, without some kind of position detection, it is "driving blind". If it gets out-of-step (excuse the pun) with the actual drawer position, it could eject the drawer completely, or mangle the teeth of the drive mechanism by trying to close the drawer further when it's already fully closed.

The other approach of course is to use hard limits at both ends of the drawer's travel, and some kind of friction in the drive path, so if the drawer gets into the wrong position, the drawer will hit a limit, the drive system will slip, and nothing will be damaged.

Ask a Question