Maker Pro
Maker Pro

electric code

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Ok so I am kinda sketchy on the terminology here, but I have recently took on a job upgrading some outside "disconnects" I think this is what they are called. the box containing the main breaker right off the meter box.

My question regarding the code is do I need to wire the breaker on the meter side or the residential side of the the circuit. What I mean by that is, do the 2 hots from the meter box get wired into the "lugs???" and then the breaker hookups run to the residence? or should it be the other way around, the meter mains going to the breaker and the lugs leading to the residence???

Reason I ask is because I was told by a not so smart man, my boss who is nothing close to an electrician, that he was told the meter mains need to go through a breaker. But a certified electrician hooked up one a year ago and I looked at his setup and he did it my way, not how my boss thinks he was told to do it. Can someone clear up my confusion on this here subject. Or at least point me to the NEC section to read it for myself. The only code book I have is from 1975.

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
I don't have a current NEC available, and I guess different locales might have different codes - but all my properties are wired with the disconnect (breakers) on the residence side of the meter. So - power feeds directly from the grid through the meter - to the breaker panel - including the main disconnect.

Last edited:

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I called the inspector and POCO here in Pennsylvania about the work I am doing.

I have got the DR# to cut the lockout tag and pull the meter. I also asked the inspector about the above issue and the answer I got was this. "You have to terminate the meter mains at a breaker if and only if it takes 6 or more clicks to turn off all the power in the panel."

So if I understand the guy this means to me that as long as I can fit 3 or more split breakers into a mains box then the mains have to be hooked to a disconnect before powering the box??