Connect with us

electric Bike

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by RonElectricBike, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. RonElectricBike

RonElectricBike

Feb 18, 2016
    Does anyone have any experience with electric Bikes. I would like to buy one but not sure which brand is good.

2. Sadlercomfort

Sadlercomfort Ash

Feb 9, 2013
    I would only advise going for one with a lithium battery!

RonElectricBike likes this.
  3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    What, and have it catch fire when you ride up too steep a hill?

Bob

4. Sadlercomfort

Sadlercomfort Ash

Feb 9, 2013
    The older much heavier lead acid batteries are huge, your limited to how much capacity you can place on a nimble bike frame.. you probably wouldn't even get up the hill. You get more range out of a lithium battery.

Besides, how common are these fires your talking about?

Just use the correct rated charger that comes with it and you'll be fine. Don't overcharge and don't put a nail through it, happy days.

ratstar likes this.
  5. RonElectricBike

RonElectricBike

Feb 18, 2016
    Thanks for the advice

6. Sadlercomfort

Sadlercomfort Ash

Feb 9, 2013
    No problem, I've tried two electric bikes with both batteries. The lithium one performed a lot better and was much lighter

ratstar likes this.
  7. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    [QUOTE="Sadlercomfort, post: 1683858, member: 29301"
    Besides, how common are these fires your talking about?
    [/QUOTE]
    I was joking, based on the propensity of hoverboards to catch fire.

Bob

ratstar likes this.
  8. Sadlercomfort

Sadlercomfort Ash

Feb 9, 2013
    Oh sorry, I have a terrible sense of humour :rolleyes:

Hoverboards are really kicking up steam atm about fires, there's alot of fakes and cheap manufacturers about trying to make a quick buck!

9. bijanelectric

bijanelectric

Feb 4, 2021
    Brand of electric bicycle is not that important as they most often all come from China from several big manufacturers. The heart of an electric bicycle and what will likely cause it to eventually not operate is the battery. Battery is also the most expensive part of the bike. A higher quality battery and name brand like Samsung can cost significantly more. Concentrate on the quality of the battery first, then comfort of the bicycle, then economy of the bicycle, safety is also important so disc brakes are a good upgrade option. One or even more spare battery is good to have, especially if you want higher range. Pedal sensing apparently extends the range considerably rather than only throttle.

10. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    A big heavy lead-acid battery allows a bike to go very fast downhill.
    A current-limiting circuit will prevent an overloaded Lithium battery from catching on fire.
    My electric model airplanes (Li-PO battery) can climb at full power vertically (uphill) until they cannot be seen anymore and the batteries become only a little warm.

11. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    cough---cough.....you mean local flight control limit surely.... (400 ft here in Aus)

12. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    I fly my RC airplanes lower when I hear and see a low flying rescue helicopter going to the nearby hospital.
    Kids fly huge kites much higher than real airplanes and helicopters.

13. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Hope that chopper base is not a controlled site.

davenn likes this.
  14. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    @bijanelectric This is an old thread from 2014. No use in reviving it. I'll close this thread.

Ask a Question