Connect with us

electric bike

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by john_bry, Nov 2, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. john_bry

john_bry

Oct 31, 2011
    I was thinking about a battery powered bicycle.
    But using a "direct drive" motor concept.
    If i were to tape a magnetic strip to the rim of the wheel or place magnets in the disk brake
    (assuming you had a disk brake bike)
    If you had a copper coil placed somewhere to insteract with the magnets then maybe?

Has anybody thought about this? the implications?
    Yes their are electric bike kits, but perhaps a direct drive system would eliminate parts.

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I have actaully thought about this a little, but never went beyond thinking how cool it would be to build. I see no reason why it could not be done, and I was inclined, as you are to consiider the direct drive approach. My thoughts were to have magnets mounted to to the underside of the wheel rim and then a coil around a circular shaped ferrous metal form with the magnets passing through a gap in it. The electronics would sense the magnet approaching via induced EMF in the coil, then energize it and flip the polarity as the magnet passed through. I was thinking of something that was more of an assist for gettng up hills than driving the bike completely.

The only question I would have is how effiicient it could be compared to a commericially produced motor.

Most of the add-on products I found made contact with the bicycle tire, which I would think would wear the tire out prematurely, but I found one that has a motor build into a replacement hub, which was very cool and very expensive as I recall.

Bob

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. john_bry

john_bry

Oct 31, 2011
    yes im thinking electric assist.

I think you would have to have a frequency drive on the elctronics.

i have a gas assist now
    i was using a 30cc two stroke, but its awfully noisy. and i got pulled over a couple
    times by cops saying i needed a "license" which is not true.

but why not use an electric bike and re- charge it at your bosses expense.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Keep us updated if you pursue this, I might still want to build one myself (though not at this time of year, we just had our first winter storm!

Bob

Ask a Question