Connect with us

electric bike project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by goseph, May 17, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. goseph

goseph

May 17, 2012
    Hi everybody,

I'm starting a new project and I wanted to check in with people here to get some advice :)

Ok so: The desired final system will have a alternator/motor attached to the rear wheel of the bike which will charge a 12V car battery by default but when a button is pressed, will act as a motor to give the bike a bit of a power boost.

1) So my first question is... could I use a charge regulator like this one?http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110856129...:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_12040wt_1274

2) Is there a single appropriate component that I could use as both an alternator and motor or should I get two components and wire up separate circuits for driving and charging?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    As a regular e-bike rider, let me suggest a few things:

1) A car battery is far too heavy. If you're going lead-acid, get something smaller. A better bet is LiPo -- LiFePO4 are a good (and safe) option.

2) There are controllers out there that will do all you want and more, trying to use a solar charge controller is non-optimal. One obvious reason is that it may not be sealed and you (and it) will get wet from time to time!

Take a look at the kits out there. There are some that have interfaces to your brakes so they can dynamically brake. If you buy a kit you won't have to try to source matching throttles, controllers, and motors.

3. goseph

goseph

May 17, 2012
    Thanks for your quick reply Steve!

1) I want to go with a car battery because this battery will also be used to power other things (a mobile sound system and an inverter for a laptop) - also - I want to be able to just lift up the back wheel of the bike and pedal to charge the battery whilst powering these devices.

2) On the kits and the controller - I guess I'll do more research?

ciao

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You may find that most systems these days are 36V, and that may be an issue.

If you're using it as a fixed generator, then perhaps the solar (or better, wind turbine) regulator would work. Not sure how it would go to power the bike though.

If you can find something which operates from 12V and has dynamic braking (and which uses this to charge the battery) then that would be just the ticket I expect.

5. roltex_rohit123

roltex_rohit123

Oct 12, 2009
    go to golden motors china and forget your idea. it is because you will need the boost within 10 minutes of cycling if you impliment this on your bike. the company has a good range and even i am trying to build an electric car. only thing is i dont have money!!

Ask a Question