Connect with us

El Wire Jewellery Project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Canofsky, May 28, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Canofsky

Canofsky

May 28, 2010
    Hi All,

You'll have to be patient with me because I'm a complete electronics novice.

I'm trying to incorporate some Elwire - electroluminescent wire - in to a jewellery project.
    To glow the Elwire will need a battery pack and an inverter.
    I plan to use a lithium watch battery and button inverter to supply the alternating current needed by the wire.
    Lithium Coin Cell, 3V
    Tiny "Button" Inverter; 1.5v, 7Khz, Constant, up to 1.5ft; Dim: 1/4"w x 3/8"h

I want the battery/ inverter casing to be as small a possible so it is wearable with a necklace without being uncomfortable.

So here are my questions:
    1 - Do I solder the output of the battery holder to the inverter using some connecting wire then the output of the inverter to the Elwire?

2 - Should I try to find a battery holder that will use two lithium batteries in series to improve the strength of the charge? If I can find a battery holder that would stack lithium batteries I should be able to keep it small.

3 - If I create a metal casing for the battery holder and inverter can I add a reed switch into the mix so that a magnetic fastening will trigger the power flow?

As you can see I'm starting from scratch so all ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Canofsky

Ask a Question