Connect with us

EL Panel/Sheet Manipulation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Gryd3, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Does anyone here have any experience or info that I may pick regarding EL Sheet or EL Panel?

I have some knowledge for EL wire... as there is a core conductor, and small stranded wire wrapped around the wire... To join pieces, you need to strip the layers carefully, and solder very carefully to join two pieces together.

I am also aware that joining Split EL Tape is easy, as the two conductors are isolated on either side of a divide along the center of the tape. The pieces can be joined simply by using conductive material to independently join each side of the split EL tape from each piece you want connected.

Now this is where I struggle...
    EL Panel.. or Parallel EL Tape.
    The conductors are on the top, and bottom of the sheet... the only information I have been able to gather is that there is a tab the must be connected to for the top conductor, and the bottom conductor is the entire back of the sheet and can be connected to anywhere.
    So. knowing this, I know I can buy some EL Sheet, or Tape, and cut it to a limited shape as long as I keep a the tab on the edge to make a connection.
    What I don't know, is how can multiple pieces be joined, or if the tab breaks off, can the panel still be used?
    I see some very interesting designs made from EL panel.. but don't know if there is some special hardware required, or just a lot of patience...

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    I once was asked to design a sound and light garden for partially sighted and deaf people at a local school. We were looking at using EL sheets, I don't think you can join them like that. You get splitter cables from the inverter which will run more than one panel. You can get panels which are designed to be cut and will have a connection in each corner which you would attach your splitter cable to.
    I don't know if this helps.
    Adam

3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Ask a Question