Connect with us

EFI governor help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by beeks, Oct 5, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. beeks

beeks

Oct 5, 2016
    I stuck a Toyota Yaris motor into a large garden tractor. I intend to try and get it running with the stock wiring harness and ecu. If that fails I'll go to an aftermarket like the Microsquirt. I have not found any aftermarket ecu's that are capable of governing engine speed. That's where I'm in need of some advice. Right now I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight on what direction to head. There are some aftermarket governors out there, but they are expensive, confusing, don't appear to be DIY friendly. The confusing part is how the desired rpm's are set. I suspect that's because the more reasonably priced ones are single speed for things like generators. Just set it and forget it applications. One thing I learned from reading about them is that they can get the engine rpm's input from the alternator. I feel like it would be possible to put together a circuit that would be placed between the ECU and the fly by wire accelerator pedal. Give it a power input and a speed signal from the alternator. The fly by wire accelerator pedal would determine desired rpms and it would use the signal from the alternator to determine the necessary throttle opening signal to send back to the ECU.

This is a feeler thread to help me determine what direction I want to pursue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. FWIW I'm very mechanically inclined, but a rookie when it comes to electronics. This project is more cost sensitive that time sensitive. Thank you in advance!

2. beeks

beeks

Oct 5, 2016
  3. Kiwi

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
    These governors are usually for diesel engines used on gensets or pumps etc that operate at a pre set speed.

ACT = actuator to move the engines throttle lever. See Woodward DYNA for examples.
    MPU = Magnetic Pick Up on flywheel. Senses starter ring gear teeth.

Remote Speed Pot may only give limited speed adjustment from pre-set Run Speed, eg +/- 5%. It is a trim rather than full speed control.

4. beeks

beeks

Oct 5, 2016
    I had e-mailed a guy that works with microsquirt aftermarket ecu's. He told me that a governor can control the throttle plate in an efi gas engine. The fuel injection and ignition ecu can operate completely independent of the governor, electronic or mechanical. In other words, gas or diesel engines, efi or carb. It doesn't matter. The governor controls the throttle which ever type you have. That simplifies the ecu side of things.

quote:
    Remote Speed Pot may only give limited speed adjustment from pre-set Run Speed, eg +/- 5%. It is a trim rather than full speed control. unquote.

I can't figure out why they aren't more clear on that. You'd think that any purchaser would want to know what rpm's they are designed for.

5. beeks

beeks

Oct 5, 2016
Ask a Question