Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Educate a newbie fast!!!!!

Mr.paranoid

Jan 14, 2010
I have currently been studying electronics but I have a problem reading schematics. lol. Actually I get it in theory, I can for the most part understand but when it comes down to creating a project with a 555 I get all confused. I really like electronics alot so will somebody please give me the missing piece of my puzzle or show me where to find the answers. By the way I am trying to teach myself so there is nobody to ask. Please help and fast starting to get to frustrating.:eek:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Where do we even begin? If you want to learn this in a week then you're certainly destined to get frustrated..
It took me ten years of tinkering with electronics before I could really design stuff myself, and look at a diagram and tell if it could have been designed in a better way. I never used the 555 in my own designs, and I find it a confusing component (btw.).

Mr.paranoid

Jan 14, 2010
Well to me its like looking a one of those pictures you have to stare at till it comes into focus lol i guess it all research for me and trial and error. lol. To bad its not that funny.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Well, it gets "funny" after a while, but it's like learning a language. You have to look a t examples, being explained what it means, learn some "words" (components) and some "grammar" (layout rules). Then after a while you can make simple "phrases" (circuits), but only after a long while do you become "fluent" (designing complex circuits correcly & easily by yourself).
Some catch up fast (like 6 months) and some require years. Patience is the name of the game.

cheesysam

Jan 10, 2010
You should check out the response I got from Graham here. He explained to me the entire workings of my 555.

Jduffy

Jan 24, 2010
Eh, i've only recently begun to understand how exactly a circuit diagram translates into a physical board. I've found that youtube helps a lot.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The best text I've ever found is "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz & Hill. It's an easy read and there's stuff in it for everyone and it concentrates on the practicalities rather than the math.

If you can find it in a library it may be worth looking at to see if it helps you.

I keep a copy beside my bed for bedtime reading :)