Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ECU burn out

liverbird

Jun 27, 2010
I have an engine ecu that has totally burnt out, i was wondering if there is no short circuit in the wiring loom, no fuses blew, no wiring burnt, what else could cause an ecu to burn.:confused:
A new ecu was fitted and burnt out after a week.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
It all depends. It can fail due to voltage spikes, current spikes, (intermittent) shorts in wiring or units, or breaks in other ground wiring. Are there any physical traces in the ECU?

liverbird

Jun 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply.
The main power input leg in the ecu has burnt away, as well as what seems to be the output signals the tracks are completly burnt, so its difficult to say what circuits would have caused this. Normally when there is a short circuit to ground on this type of vehicle the fuse blows.
Is it possible that if a faulty component requires more current, the ecu can burn it self out trying to supply the required current ?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Sorry I somehow missed your reply..
Hmm, that's a tough (interesting) one..
The answer to your last question is yes, except it's rare to have positive traces burning out (instead of fuses) and with no signs of stress on the semiconductors.
Do you think there could be any wiring diagrams available for this car & ECU, and would you be able to shoot & post a couple of pic's of the ECU internals?