Maker Pro
Maker Pro

eBay Arduino Uno Clones

jimwill48

Sep 2, 2010
Anyone tried any of the Chinese eBay Arduino Uno Clones. I was looking at the:ainSmart UNO ATMEGA328P-PU ATMEGA8U2 Microcontroller AVR USB board 4. Have a couple of projects coming up where I will need a small quantity of Arduino's.

Thanks...jw

Anish

Feb 5, 2011
Hi,
I dont know where you are from. But I've used the clones named Freeduino and induino (I am from India). Both works fine and satisfactorily.
I would recommend you to go for Freeduino as it may be available globally. Its low cost and reliable.

Regards

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If you are really cost sensitive, wire up your own boards, it is not all that difficult. When you buy an Arduino you are paying $25 for a $2 chip.

Bob

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The Arduino PC board files as well as bootloader is all public domain, so clones should be fine 1:1 copies unless they are made by a hack that shouldn't be making anything...

If you are really cost sensitive, wire up your own boards, it is not all that difficult. When you buy an Arduino you are paying $25 for a $2 chip.
Short of the whole external USB support circuit on the Arduino that would force you so use a different programmer if not included... But, if the design is final there is no need in most cases to keep the USB support so you can save a bunch like Bob suggested by just using the chip on a board of your own design...

FYI you can slave a single Arduino as a programmer to get around this...

Last edited:

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
yes they work fine...

but, watch out for voltage in on the DC barrel, i blew 2 up for using > 8dc volts

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Even the real Arduinos face potential voltage regulator failure at higher voltages, they have even lowered the specs over the years because of this... Mind the regulators specifications (they will vary by manufacture) and consider the fact that they have little to no heat sink, so the higher the voltage the sooner they will overheat... 7-9V is what I would recommend in most cases and if you want those little stick on heat sinks will help keep the regulators much happier, space permitting... That or jumper the regulator and use a regulated 5V input...

amidis86

Jul 17, 2012
build it your ownduino ;), if you want the pcb layout, i can share it in here. The format used with expresspcb.exe, and very easy to used.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
When you can get them for about $14 delivered to your door, there isn't really a dime to be saved by doing it yourself... You also still need a way to load the bootloader if you do it yourself, not costly but an extra step that has to be considered...

I'm not discouraging DIY but don't fool yourself into thinking you are saving much if anything out of pocket, especially if you have a board house run a production quality board...

jimwill48

Sep 2, 2010
Got one on order to try $17.00 with free shipping along with the usb cable. Ships from the US so it's a couple of dollars more than shipping from China which would of been in the $14.00 range. If they work OK they are cheaper to buy than to build....

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
arduino is for us newcomers. it has a USB interface which allows us to program and reprogram as we see fit. as you get the idea forr arduino and a rough understanding of how it works you can then create your own.
if for example you come up with a brilliant idea for a R/C plane and wish to start with arduino you can. but then later as you realise the extra few grams and size for the ciruitry involved to connect the device to USB is a little too much AND that once its programmed you will not need the USB again you might want to start making your own boards.
as BobK said why would you spend $25 for a $2 chip?
the initial setup of making your own boards is alot bigger than you might originally think but if you get an idea that works and is profitable than the $2 way might be better