Connect with us

Easy Way to Extract Hydrogen Gas From Hydrogen Peroxide?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by roonyroo, Apr 12, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. roonyroo

roonyroo

Jul 13, 2012
    I need to test some small balloons with hydrogen gas, to test for weight measurements

Ive got some hydrogen peroxide around 40%, is there any simple way to extract the hydrogen gas from the peroxide?

I was thinking of just using electrolysis to some water, but that'd take ages

Or should I just add the peroxide into water & electrolysis anyway?

I have latex balloons specifically for hydrogen

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Depends on the current. More current, more gas. Plus you will need a pumpö to pressurize the gas into the balloons.

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    It's easier to get some Drain-O crystals, and add water... Add a little bit of crumpled aluminum foil for a faster reaction over and above the flaked aluminum in the crystals... The reaction gets hot and produces pressure that will inflate the balloon if you do it in a plastic pop bottle with the balloon over the top it's a one stop solution...

And play safe, with appropriate safety gear... Also consider propping the bottle upright with something like bricks because it can get hot enough to melt the plastic and tip over...

BTW don't cap the bottle, it will go boom...

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    My ancient chemistry tells me that hydrogen peroxide is wter with an exess of oxygen (H2O2) so you are not likely to get hydrogen out of it untill it is converted to water (H2O).

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    That is indeed true 2H2O2 --> 2H2O + O2

Ask a Question