Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Easy Question (hopefully)

jsmith24

Jul 1, 2013
Hi all,

I have what I hope is a simple question, and simple answer. I have a riding mower that I want to add LED lighting to. The mower has an unregulated DC output of about 11-15 volts, 3A total. I want to regulate the output to a pretty steady 12v so that I can nail down resistor values and not have LEDs that vary in brightness. I doubt I’ll ever use the full 3A (that’s a lot of LEDs), but I’m converting the mower’s headlights to LED bulbs as well, so would like to keep that as an option.

Is there an easy way to get 12v regulated DC from an unregulated 11-15 volt DC input?

Thanks!

Jack

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
No. What is the make and model of your riding mower?
I believe that it would be very difficult to replace headlights with LED's and get much better efficiency.

jsmith24

Jul 1, 2013
No. What is the make and model of your riding mower?
I believe that it would be very difficult to replace headlights with LED's and get much better efficiency.

I have a 1995 MTD LT 12.5 hp. It has 5 amps AC running to two 1156 bulbs (not sure of the AC voltage), and the unregulated 3A line that currently runs only to the battery for charging.

I realize that the LED headlights probably won’t be as illuminating as the 1156s I have now, but they will be more efficient. That said, it’s not really the headlights I’m interested in replacing at the moment, but other “trick lighting” for custom mower shows. Yes…as handy-man-nerdy as that sounds, they do exist!

Jack

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
Now I have the picture. The 1156 is rated for 12.8 volts @ 2.1 amps and puts out 32 candela of light. The battery itself is a crud voltage regulator because it tend to act as a short when the magneto is running fast. So for the nerdy lights I don't see any reason not to run these directly off the battery with 560 ohm 1/2 watt resistors in series with each LED. When you decide on the LED's for the headlights let us know so I can do the same thing.