Connect with us

Easy guitar modifications?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by EuanFox, Feb 19, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. EuanFox

EuanFox

Feb 18, 2012
    I really want to get my first electronics project started, and I was thinking I would go right ahead and do some modifications on one of my electric guitars I never use, so if I make a mistake (which I'm sure I will) it really won't matter! :D

Anyway, I have narrowed it down to changing the pots on the controls or rewiring the entire electronics? Anyone had any experience with this, or think these changes would be useless?

I have no idea what the pots are or what they would be good to change to, or what type of wire to use, so ANY help will be massively appreciated. I have never done any kind of electronics work, so please keep it simple :eek:

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi again Euan, :)

OK well initially you need to define what you are wanting to achieve
    my first question would be ...
    why change something that is working ? ( presumably it currently is )

going back to your amplifier thoughts in the other forum section...
    do you have an amp already?
    would you like to make a low output, say 10 - 20W practice amp for your home use ?

dunno what country you are in, You havent stated in your profile....
    in several countries USA, Australia, New Zealand, England/Europe there are some good kitsets available for low power amplifiers.
    or instead of messing up your existing guitar, how about making some effects pedals/switches for it --- reverb, echo, etc etc. Again you are likely to find kits available. At the least lots of circuit ideas by doing some googling.

if thats of interest, then show some links to circuits and us guys can evaluate them for their workability. NOTE: NOT ALL circuit info on the net is good. There are some pretty crappy designs out there and others that you would probably never get to work without some major redesign.
    Hence why I suggested show some links for evaluation :)

cheers
    Dave

Ask a Question