Connect with us

Easiest way to do remote control via internet

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Klaus Kragelund, Apr 28, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hi

Currently I have a webserver running on a NetDuino controlling a clients heating in a sommer residence (so he can turn on the heat from home)

Its ok, but the limited memory of the Netduino means the website has limited functionality and I would also like to add SMS/Texting functionality to alert the client if an alarm has gone off (I have water, CO2, gas etc sensors added to the unit)

So, I was thinking about using my Raspberry Pi with a link to Dropbox usingthe triggers available to send an SMS, but that cannot be customizes as far as I can see.

Another way, is to add a GSM module, but that takes a lot of coding on my part.

A third way, could be to synchronize a folder using dropbox, and having a server monitoring at my home to check if a status file has changed with information in the file of the alarm sending a SMS from there (then many clients to use the same server, with multiple files)

Any other way to add SMS/Texting functionality that is simple and could usethe Raspberry Pi? (I always have an internet connection at the site of theclient)

Thanks

Klaus

2. Additionally, using the dropbox syncronized folder would mean I could add datalogging, perhaps a USB camera for surveilance etc which would be impossible on the lower end NetDuino solution....

Cheers

Klaus

3. Jasen Betts

Jasen Betts Guest

not all that much coding really.
    I don't really see the point of dropbox.
    Use one of the internet sms providers. Having paid, you send an HTTP
    post, they send an SMS.

4. Jasen Betts

Jasen Betts Guest

or you could do that by email...

5. SMTP? Some discussion of Bansky SMTP if you have room for the code.
    <http://forums.netduino.com/index.php?/topic/1742-smtp-with-net-micro-framework/>

Cheers

6. miso

miso Guest

Most phones have an "email" address or webpage to send mail to a phone. Or as simple as <10 digit number>@vtext.com

I just used Verizon as an example, but other providers have an internet
    gateway.

7. Guest

Well, that's true, just some AT commands and parsing on received messages

Thanks

Klaus

8. Guest

Very nice indeed, looks like that should be possible, just on the Raspberry Pi instead :)

Thanks

Klaus

9. Dropbox is cross-platform, there is one for linux.

Ask a Question