Connect with us

Early MOSFETs: why P-channel?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by MajorMajor, Jul 14, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. MajorMajor

MajorMajor

Jul 14, 2016
    One thing that has been baffling me in the last week or so: looking back in time when the first MOSFET input op-amps were introduced, I noticed that they used predominantly p-channel devices in the first stage. On a similar note, in the rare occasions when discrete small-signal MOSFETS were used (i.e. devices like the 3N163), again, there seems to be a leaning towards p-channel devices.

Taking into account the fact that in general, p-channel MOSFETs have somewhat inferior characteristics, I was wondering why this was the case. Just about the only advantage of p-channel devices that I can think of is the lower 1/f noise (even then, it's hideous...) Was there something about the silicon process that made them preferable?

Even with modern devices, such as the excellent LTC6240 op-amp, again, the input stage uses p-channel devices. So is there something in chip manufacturing that favours p-channel in the input stage?

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Rixen and Harald Kapp like this.
  3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
Ask a Question