Connect with us

Early 80's RCA Projection TV Model: PGR100WR

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by kevin nexes, Sep 23, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. kevin nexes

    kevin nexes Guest

    The subject has a collasping raster. Used to be intermittant, but now
    is stuck in that all of the video is in about 2/3 of screen height.
    The bottom 1/3 of the raster can be seen but is 'folded over' and
    compressed into about an inch on screen. All three colors have the

    Makes for watching the credits roll at the end of a movie alot of fun
    because the words literally reverse direction at the fold over.

    The video in the vertical blanking interval can also be seen at the
    top of the raster. I bringn this up in that I may also have a picture
    size problem. This video is in the interesting form of black and white
    pulses, presumably "in channel data" from the cable company.

    The subject has served me well, and even though purchased in '83, the
    unit still has great performance otherwise and remains an integral
    part of my home theather. I'd be willing to invest all my time needed
    to bring it back to spec, and prefer to take a shot at fixing it
    myself but looking for someone here to shorten the diagnosis.

    I'm a electronics engineer and have access to scopes, ESR's, test
    pattern genertors and such and I *DO* have the microfiche version of
    the service manual and have no aversion to diving right in.

    Thanks for your advice in advance
  2. john

    john Guest

    Ok ! ESR all the caps in the Deflection and scan circuits
    whilst in there check for dry solder joints.

    Good Luck


    PS There is a standup ceramic type IC close to IHVT check it also
    and change that 1000mfd very close to IHVT.
  3. John Del

    John Del Guest

    Subject: Early 80's RCA Projection TV Model: PGR100WR
    These use a couple of ceramic hybrid ICs, long discontinued. The one with the
    vertical on it can be resoldered, but it's extremely difficult to do it where
    it will last a long time.You can locate the part number on your fiche, and see
    if anyone has one from a scrapper.

    John Del
    Wolcott, CT

    "Nothing is so opportune for tyrants as a people tired of its liberty."
    Alan Keyes

    (remove S for email reply)
  4. Bill Jr

    Bill Jr Guest

    Actually the vertical hybrid module at location M701, generic number HM7052,
    Hitachi part number 2370542 is still available and in stock at

    At $89.36 it would be best to verify that your set actually uses this part
    before ordering.

    It would also be prudent to do as another post suggested and replace most
    (if not all) the caps in and around the sweep/deflection circuits as well as
    the power supply regulation area.

    Good Luck,
    Bill Jr
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day