Connect with us

Early 1970's Fairchild Transistor Question

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by shrtrnd, Jan 1, 2019.

1. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I obtained 3 different Fairchild Transistors with date codes of 1970 & 1971.
    EN914, EN722, & EN1132
    Does anyone know the significance of the prefix 'EN' on these transistors.
    I'm wondering if they're just early markings that later transferred over to the JEDEC '2N' prefix,
    or if they are some other transistor, not equivalent to the '2N' transistors.
    Thanks

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Google EN914 and look at data (3 down on search)

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    That doesn't answer the question at least not with the search results I obtained.

My guess is that the EN prefix is company specific. I haven't been able to obtain detailed information of this prefix whereas the 1N and 2N prefixes are well explained.
    I found 2N914 transistors, but only a crude datasheet. You'd have to compare the relevant parameters to find out whether the transistors you have are useable in your application.
    I'd maybe keep them as a curiosity and get some modern transistors for my projects.

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Mine came up with the data sheet.
    How much more would one require?

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks for the replies (and help with where to look for info).
    The EN914 is equivalent to the 2N914, I'll continue looking for the other two.
    I gave-up on asking Fairchild for information, they divided-up their electronic divisions long ago, then started trying to
    reincorporate them under different ownership. The guys running the show there now, are completely disconnected from
    what the original parent company did.
    I'm sure Harald is right about this 'EN' prefix being company specific. And thanks Bluejets for directing me to an actual datasheet for the EN914.
    I obtained these parts from the estate of a guy who left a lot of 1960's and 1970's components that are specifically marked with
    U.S. Navy identification. I don't know if he was in the Navy, or supplied parts to it. While most of the parts I received are mil spec, the Fairchild transistors with the 'EN' prefix were mysterious to me.
    Thanks again for the help.

6. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
  7. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Thanks gorgon. Those old data books (referencing parts that don't always show-up in Google searches), come in pretty handy.
    Don't suppose I'll ever find-out WHY Fairchild used the 'EN' prefix on some early 1970's transistors.

8. FuZZ1L0G1C

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
    The EN prefix is simply the Plastic-bodied equivalent of the 2N.
    Reason for "E" obscure, but the Fairchild / SGS (Società Generale Semiconduttori) may have thought "plastic Encapsulation"..
    Here's the data from an old 1973 T.I.T.S. .....
    EN_vs_2N.png

bushtech likes this.
Ask a Question