Connect with us

Dynamic mic and electret condenser mic to AD computer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by COlson, Mar 26, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. COlson

COlson

Mar 22, 2009
    I am a total novice when it comes to electronics. Please bear with me. I posted elsewhere with no reply. Perhaps too basic a question on the other thread?
    I need to connect a tiny dynamic mic to an earbud but also need to connect it (not at the same time) to an A/D converter to log the output to a computer so that I can manipulate and analyze the data with FFT, etc.

The output to the A/D (which is more important at this time) needs to be approx. in the range of +/- 5V but up to +/-10V is acceptable to the A/D I have. I've seen many circuits online for electret condenser mics and I will need to use one of them also. They commonly use a 9V transistor for pre-amp power. (very tiny mic needed - think of recording a bee while it collects pollen walking-not flying on a flower).

Is a pre-amp what I need? I have plugged an earbud direclty into me PC mic input and can record sound (weakly) and aren't earbuds essentially dynamic mics?
    My problem is the learning curve. I can buy the components and make stabs at what might work but I could really use some good advice to start. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much!!
    Curtis

Ask a Question