Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dynamic Memory Allocation in C

champ1

Jul 17, 2018
Hi guys,
I looked on the internet that dynamic memory allocation is not suitable for small Microcontroller But I need to understand the information given in this page https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/dynamic-memory-allocation-in-c-using-malloc-calloc-free-and-realloc/

I am trying to understand following paragraph
"
As it can be seen that the length (size) of the array above made is 9. But what if there is a requirement to change this length (size). For Example,
  • If there is a situation where only 5 elements are needed to be entered in this array. In this case, the remaining 4 indices are just wasting memory in this array. So there is a requirement to lessen the length (size) of the array from 9 to 5.
  • Take another situation. In this, there is an array of 9 elements with all 9 indices filled. But there is a need to enter 3 more elements in this array. In this case 3 indices more are required. So the length (size) of the array needs to be changed from 9 to 12.
"

There is no such example coming in my mind that changes the length of array. What are the real time situation where length of array may be change ?

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
There is no such example coming in my mind that changes the length of array. What are the real time situation where length of array may be change ?
The quote gives you two examples...
Other examples:
- Strings (which in C are arrays of charcters) of varying length
- Databases with varying content
etc.
There is no such example coming in my mind that changes the length of array.
If you don't have a need to use arrays of variable length, don't use them.

champ1

Jul 17, 2018
I know when size of array is fixed we should use static memory and when size of variable we should use dynamic memory, there is no misunderstanding to understand basic difference

- Strings (which in C are arrays of charcters) of varying length
This example make sense, Every person has a different name The user does not know the exact length of string to store, so dynamic memory will use to store name of different person