Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DVR STOPS RECORDING

JXA512

Feb 2, 2016
DVR STOPS RECORDING WHEN I MANUALLY SHUT OFF TV. IN THE PROCESS I NEVER SHUT OFF THE SATELLITE BOX. IF I KEEP THE TV ON WHILE RECORDING, IT WORKS JUST FINE. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The problem is how you've wired the system up.
Devices nowadays will not operate if they do not see an incoming signal.
Somehow, you've wired your system so the DVR is not seeing an incoming signal when you shut off the TV (which is probably supplying the signal to the DVR).
Just sit down and draw-out the set-up you have, and think about what you need to rewire, to make it work.
If any other peripheral device is in your set-up, include it in your drawing (we can help if we see it, but we don't need to, you just need to think about what you have).
If any one instrument in the signal path is turned-off, or mis-wired, or a selector switch on any of those items is not in the correct position: the signal will not go to the DVR for processing.
Good luck.

JXA512

Feb 2, 2016
the coaxial cable from outside is going into the satelite box. on box hdmi out is going to tv in hdmi (1). composite(a/v) is going out from box to dvr unit in. composite(a/v) is going out from dvr to tv in on dvr hdmi out is going to tv in hdmi (2) is there something i'm doing wrong in setup?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
That would be my first thing to check.
I'm going to hope somebody else sees this post and jumps in here. I am completely unfamiliar with hdmi input.
My experience with your symptom, is that somewhere in the wiring, at least one cable is not in the correct connector.
hdmi may do something I'm not familiar with. Same with composite inputs. I'm still running a CRT on a 20-year-old television and don't do cable.
Sorry I can't be much help here.
Do you still have the owner's manual for your DVR? They usually give drawings of all the different possible wiring configurations.